Be aware of devastating bacteria before getting in water this summer
By BY JR ORTEGA - JRORTEGA@VICAD.COM
June 14, 2012 at 1:14 a.m.
It happened in the blink of an eye.
Jay Lack, now 65, had spent the summer of 2007 basking in the sun, enjoying a day of bay fishing in Port O'Connor.
Hours later, the Victoria resident was in the hospital, his leg stricken with vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria that reddens and swells a wound infected by warm bay waters.
"I didn't feel good," Lack said. "Then I felt horrible."
Dr. John McNeill, a Victoria physician, has seen several cases of vibrio, including Lack.
The bacteria is present in the water year-round, but is more prevalent in the summer and during times where little rain has stirred up the water.
"It's a devastating disease," he said. "The bacteria can go through your skin faster than any other bacteria."
Lack was given doxycycline, an antibiotic, to try to rid the infection. Hours later, he was back and most of his leg was red and he had a fever of 103, McNeill said.
Lack received a skin graft on his ankle.
Today, while Lack continues his love for bay fishing, he is, of course, more cautious.
"My leg will still swell up if I'm on my feet all day long," he said.
Tom Schmidt had a similar experience, but during the fall.
Schmidt, now 64, was fishing in the bay at Rockport in 2003 when he contracted vibrio. He had a bruise on his ankle and after that contact, it began aching.
It was a Saturday in October and by the next day, his ankle had swollen and he had flu-like symptoms.
Schmidt spent a week in the hospital. He said anyone who sees any swelling or redness should go to the emergency room immediately.
"It's easily treatable if caught early," he said. "The doctors had permission to amputate my leg."
Luckily for Schmidt, his leg was saved and he, too, continues bay fishing with some added precaution.
He won't go fishing if he has a cut, even though he may want to. Even then, he wears waders just to be extra cautious.
"I don't take any chances," he said. "I think a lot of people aren't aware."