Comments

• d6975 wrote:
    "...the morons with discount tire, stacking them on one side of town..."

Morons?!?! Really?!?!?
    When have you ever been to Discount tire, any of them, and not had to wait to have your car worked on??

They generate tons of business so it evidently works for them, even if they are put right next door to one another!

If I didn't have a ride I'd much rather drop my car off at a place where I could walk to the mall, or Wal-mart, or Sams instead of having to hang out at the garage for an hour or two.

So again I ask: Morons?

July 2, 2012 at 7:54 a.m.
  • MLD35
    Come on sweetie, surely you have seen these cellulite porkers waddling up and down our uppity north side W-M aisles

June 22, 2012 at 1:29 p.m.
  • I wonder if they will put across the road from the other wal-mart? Like the morons with discount tire, stacking them on one side of town.

June 22, 2012 at 10:03 a.m.
  • Advocate Staff,
    Thank you for the reply.

June 22, 2012 at 4:26 a.m.
  • I'm certain that Wal Mart's research indicates an ample base of their target customers in Victoria.

As Victorians, we should collectively look in the mirror and shudder.

June 22, 2012 at 12:04 a.m.
  • I wonder if Victoria really needs a second Wal-Mart. Another grocery store chain would be great. I shop at Dick's for their meat. (No pun intended).
    GOP, Vicad should ban your goofy comments. I bet most women would not even take a second glance your way.

June 21, 2012 at 10:24 p.m.
  • I just wish W-M would ban fat chicks in shorts size 10 and larger.

June 21, 2012 at 10:04 p.m.
  • I think I have a great money making idea. I think I will open up a general store and pay wages that are twice what Walmart does, and I just know all of you will be there on the first day to pay higher prices. Not so much, right?

Luckily, you are in in America and you don't have to ever step a foot in Walmart, if the fellow shoppers bother you, the wages bother you, the country of origin bothers you. No need to whine, just don't shop there. Move on!

June 21, 2012 at 8:55 p.m.
  • People complain that Walmart offers low paying jobs, but the truth is low paying jobs have their place in the economy. Can you imagine how much higher it would cost if the stock boys and cashiers were making $25 an hour?

June 21, 2012 at 8:30 p.m.
  • I am still trying to figure out how this became a race thing other that almost everything sold at Walmart is produced in China and the Walmart corporation requires anyone that sells to them have a certain percentage of their merchandise produced in China or they won't do business. Oh well, I at least found out that I am Riff Raff what ever the heck that is. Is that another political party? LOL

June 21, 2012 at 8:29 p.m.
  • Hook 'Em,
    When you do business with the city or any other governmental entity, it becomes public. It's in the public's interest to keep this process open. We routinely report on such public transactions.

June 21, 2012 at 8:09 p.m.
  • @HookEm1

Agreed.

The advocate shouldn't be a blog, it should be a source of objective news/press releases.

June 21, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.
  • I, for one, like the new location. Edna WalMart just never has what I need, and I just hate having to go all the way over to the other WalMart and drive in that craziness.

June 21, 2012 at 5:49 p.m.
  • Advocate or Ms. Miles,

When any private concern or individual goes in to the City of Victoria Planning Department for a "review to determine if their plan complies with city codes", does their plan then become public information?
    Can any individual go to the City Planning Department and review all of the plans that have been presented by other people? Is this priviledge reserved only for The Advocate?
    Is it part of Ms. Leal's job description to comment on plans submitted to the city?

Your article does not mention any press release by Walmart. There has been no advertisement by Walmart. The only contact you mention from Walmart "refused to give her name".

Can someone please comment on the 'legality/business ethics' of the City of Victoria being so open with other people's business plans?

June 21, 2012 at 4:39 p.m.
  • We need a WalMart over there this way Catepillar will have a place to go buy they"re paint.

June 21, 2012 at 3:48 p.m.
  • A common criticism of Wal-Mart is that the company offers jobs of "low wage". Duh! Victoria, Texas. How could you argue that it's not a perfect fit?!

June 21, 2012 at 2:59 p.m.
  • I dont live on the south side and you are welcome to call me riff-raff, trashy, snobby, or pretty much any name you can dream up.

We're not to sensitive here at the Bourne residents.

June 21, 2012 at 1:38 p.m.

June 21, 2012 at 1:36 p.m.
  • Thats all we need is another meth lab in victoria!!

June 21, 2012 at 1:29 p.m.
  • We need a Wal-Mart here in Refugio. There is a tiny H-E-B that is a joke here. If Halletsville can have a Wal-Mart, please bring one to Refugio.

June 21, 2012 at 1:10 p.m.
  • Being called "riff raff" is insulting and shouldn't be tolerated. How would you like to be called snobbish or just down right rude when you aren't? Just because we live on the southside of town doesn't make a person riff raff or even lower class. As for another walmart coming, who cares? I'd rather have a better option of who to by groceries from.

June 21, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.
  • myvu, I bet you’re in these pics

June 21, 2012 at 12:42 p.m.
  • Are we sure that we want to entertain our selves by making fun of someones accent? I am not bi-lingual but a "chopper" is slang for a customized motorcycle. Lightening up is good, with out insulting people.

June 21, 2012 at 12:41 p.m.

June 21, 2012 at 12:39 p.m.
  • Well, we'll have two Walmarts and not a single cafeteria. Come back Luby's!

June 21, 2012 at 12:20 p.m.
  • I think it's spanish for Shoppers.

C'mon vet43, you have to know some folks have an accent.

I wish people could lighten up and have a little fun.

June 21, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.
  • archieb,

What exactly is a "chopper"? Do we have that many lumberjacks in Victoria?

June 21, 2012 at 11:27 a.m.
  • "Riff-Raff on their side of town". What an endearing way to describe your fellow citizens.

I don't know if it will lower prices in our area but it probably insures that no other chain store will move here. I will be making more trips to Dick's and supporting a hometown family store.

June 21, 2012 at 11:03 a.m.
  • Well it's about time but we need something on hwy 59 with all the traffic passing thru a store and even a good restaurant would do good.Thank You Walmart

June 21, 2012 at 9:44 a.m.
  • Granted, walmart isn't the greatest, but it's about time for a large store of this nature to come to this side of Victoria. Maybe some of the others will follow. Hope the city plans on helping out with the road problems that are sure to happen.

June 21, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.
  • Where is our new and improved Wal-Mart? We are so in need of a new one here in Cuero. Also need a new and improved HEB. With all the new oil traffic, our shelves stay bare most of the time and the stores are crowded. Cuero's sales tax was up 40% last year, so let's get a new store here Wal-Mart!

June 21, 2012 at 9:16 a.m.

June 21, 2012 at 9:13 a.m.

June 21, 2012 at 8:51 a.m.
  • cmolina nailed it.

finally some growth away from the congested north side of town. some neighborhoods east of the 'loop' would be welcomed.

June 21, 2012 at 3:26 a.m.
  • This is long overdue. For years Victoria has been insistent on growing to the north side of town while neglecting the southern and eastern parts of town. With this new Walmart should come more development in the surrounding area. I could never understand why Victoria focused on growing north off the Halletsville Highway (77) and not try to expand more to the east off the Houston Highway (59) which is a more traveled highway. The city finally got it right with the new Catapiller plant, but now more retail development should be considered close to the airport.

June 21, 2012 at 2:57 a.m.
  • more low paying jobs to compete with cat !

June 21, 2012 at 12:19 a.m.
  • This is EXACTLY what Victoria needs. Another crappy store like Walmart. Have you people BEEN to the Walmart Supercenter here in town?? A whole lot more "center" than it is "Super"... I'd honestly rather lick the end of an exhaust pipe than shop there. People don't go to stores to get cheap things, they pay for the experience of great customer service. Walmart does NOT provide any service to our city other than making it look dirty. Fix the Walmart we have now, before spending all this money for what?? So we can have a Ghetto and Gucci versions of one store just like HEB?! LOL

June 20, 2012 at 10:07 p.m.
  • Excellent, another Walmart to avoid.

June 20, 2012 at 9:58 p.m.
  • If this relieves some of the traffic from North Navarro and saves the people on the south and east side of Victoria some time and fuel, it will be good. I would also hope the competition would help on our grocery bills.

June 20, 2012 at 8 p.m.
  • I like it ,more jobs even thou they will be at the lower wage variety,and I can ride my bike or walk  and that light will help.

June 20, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.
  • Well it will mean that my four times a year to buy the Coy fish food won't be as far.

A stop light at Teakwood will be good thing too. Sometimes it takes a while to turn left on 59.

June 20, 2012 at 6:13 p.m.
  • "This is better than having to go all the way up there, and dealing with the traffic,"...

Way better, Jake! Now instead of having to deal with it on Navarro, we--the folks who live in Tanglewood--will have to deal with it right here!

Not everyone believes Walmart is a welcomed addition to the Houston Highway!

June 20, 2012 at 5:20 p.m.
  • attention Wal Mart choppers!

June 20, 2012 at 4:53 p.m.