Comments

• Have you ever put a hook through a live bait fish or shrimp?
    So what everyone is saying is that you should not invite a fisherman to educate people about fish, or a hunter to discuss farrow hogs, or fowl, or a butcher to talk about cattle, and so on...
    The trash on television is just that. It's produced to get your attention! I personally try not to judge a person until I have had the opportunity to meet them and hear their side. I'm seeing allot of judgmental Witch Hunters and extremists here looking for a reason to focus their inner dis-functional rage.
    So the companies that advertise products during the Rattle Snake Republic time slot are just as guilty as the Texas Zoo. However I don't believe the Texas Zoo pays a dime to guests when they appear. And If you buy products that are advertised during the Rattle Snake Republic time slot (or on Animal Planet) you are in fact supporting the show and it's practices.
    I'm just saying angry people look for a target for their anger and most of you are hiding behind your keyboards doing exactly that. You all just encouraged me to go down to support the Texas Zoo, unless I see snakes getting slaughtered.

June 23, 2012 at 2:27 p.m.
  • Rocha was asked if there was a conflict between snake conservation and the Timaeus guys? She said they try to help remove snakes and occasionally they have to kill them. Did I hear that correctly!! You gotta be kidding me!! Obviously she has never been to a rattlesnake roundup or heard about what these guys do for a living....catch and kill snakes for profit!!
    Rocha also said the Timaeus are used to getting protested where they go. What does that tell you? Maybe they are bad news! And knowing that......they were invited to the Texas Zoo to promote snake education and conservation. I'm disappointed in your decision making Texas Zoo! ..

June 21, 2012 at 4:36 a.m.
  • Idiots

June 20, 2012 at 11:50 p.m.
  • The Zoo endorsed these folks when they hired them for the event.

June 20, 2012 at 11:37 p.m.
  • Please consider this petition and feel free to read the numerous comments that it has generated. http://www.change.org/petitions/the-t...

June 20, 2012 at 10:20 p.m.
  • Well said, Chris. I couldn't agree more. It deeply saddens me that a zoo would invite individuals that kill and exploit animals for a living to speak at their event. How can people that seek to destroy snakes be excepted to teach others about snake conservation? It appears the zoo is more interested in publicity than actually educating the public and I find this quite disturbing. I seriously hope the zoo learns from all the negative attention that sacrificing true conservation and education for publicity is unacceptable.

- Sara Viernum

June 20, 2012 at 9:52 p.m.
  • "I don't watch the show and I didn't book these people ... but I know the Timaeus' are nice people and they really care about the environment," Rocha said. They care about the environment so much that they go and collect wild animals (rattlesnakes) to later be tortured for show and murdered? I am sorry, am I the only one that's missing the caring for the environment part? You don't watch the show? So here let me help you here's video of what they do at Roundups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N58fnP... that's what happens and what the Timaeus support!

June 20, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.

June 20, 2012 at 9:49 p.m.
  • The fact that they even considered having such people at their zoo to discuss "conservation and awareness" comes to show that they are only after the publicity and not the message. The people shown in this show do not promote conservation or education, or they wouldn't do what they do. Going out into an environment and removing large numbers of snakes (regardless of species and/or venomous nature) is not a sign of respect or what a conservationist would truly do. Left alone, these animals pose very little threat to anyone around them and they keep the rodent population in check (you know, those pesky little critters that also harbor disease and chew their way into the foundation of your home, etc?) and would never want to tango with a human being.

It's one thing to dispatch a random snake that makes its way onto your property (even though 9/10 times that is even unnecessary, but it's something else entirely to go out into their native habitat and remove them in droves, by gassing their dens and toxifying their homes and then putting them by the hundreds into a pit only to be killed unnecessarily. Some having their mouths sewn shut just so someone can get a photo with one. It's disgusting and unnecessary, and certainly not something that anyone that truly qualifies to be a speaker on conservation or education, would ever partake in.

Chris Law

June 20, 2012 at 9:34 p.m.