Comments

• Yes it is common courtesy, but what should you expect from people that put out sign in the early morning hours(1am-3am) dress in black. Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!

June 25, 2012 at 4:15 p.m.
  • isn't it common courtesy to ask the land owner before setting up signs ?

June 25, 2012 at 1:11 p.m.
  • Vicad, why don't you just going interview the person who didn't want the sign in there yard. I think all of this would get cleared up pretty quick. It seens that someone guilty conscious got the best of them. Be careful when you cry WOLF!!!!

June 25, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.
  • is this woman really that crazy come on now its probably her own evil spirits finally coming out I personally know mrs ramos. I dont know mr garcia, he has came by my house and not once has he bashed or talked down on any of the candidates he was running against based on his experience is the reason im voting. I believe this is just a scam for all of us to feel sorry for her

June 25, 2012 at 12:37 p.m.

June 25, 2012 at 12:21 p.m.
  • Annie, a simple yes or no - do you believe this is Black Magic?

June 25, 2012 at 11:34 a.m.
  • My perception on this article is the "spin" the Victoria Advocate placed on the article. I respect Mrs. Ramo's right to her beliefs and dislike the tampering with campaign signs as dirty politics.

That being said, the VicAd is the issue and it's focus(or lack of) on two words to play the sensationalism card. The fact is some persons tampered with her campaign advertisement either out of meanness or stupidity not a National Inquirer headline.

How about a little Mo-News and a lot less Mo-Jo.

June 25, 2012 at 11:23 a.m.
  • I grew up in Bloomington. I am white, but my nanny was Mexican. All my friends and all of their parents and actually 95% of everyone in my life were (and still are lol) Mexican. Mexican and Catholic, to be more precise. Every single one of the people I knew believed in ghosts, black magic, evil spirits, and all manner of the paranormal. I think we are all familiar with the custom of being touched after we are complimented by someone with these beliefs. My friends and their parents would touch my hair if they said it was pretty, they would touch my face if they said I had pretty eyes. I'm not sure why people are acting as if this is odd or something so insane that she MUST surely have been misquoted. These are spiritual beliefs, just like you all believe in Jesus performing miracles. This is akin to someone telling you that you're naive because you believe in Christ. Pretty offensive statement there. I don't believe comments about Christians being "naive" would be very well-received, so i'm not sure why it's okay to bash someone else because they believe something different than you do.

I think it's silly. A lot of people do not agree with me, though. But what's the problem here? These are beliefs that have been held by people for ages, and maybe if you live in your own little world and don't learn of other cultures, this sounds like something made up to make her look bad. But I assure you, this is nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm not defending her as a person. I'm defending her right to believe whatever it is that she wants to believe, in the way I do for people who are agnostics, Catholics, Wiccans, and yes...even those whackadoodle Scientologists.

jasonbourne -

I really didn't expect you to be so classy about this after it turned out that these are her actual spiritual beliefs. Thanks for not trashing her for them and just leaving it at "my bad". That was awesome.

June 25, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.
  • Well, if she used it in a context of thinking black magic was at hand, I'd like to be the first to apologize to the Vicad

June 25, 2012 at 9:50 a.m.
  • The candidate contacted us about this incident. In that conversation with our reporter, she used the term "black magic" several times to describe what happened. We quoted her accurately in this story.

We published the story because we thought voters would want to know a candidate's thoughts about this. You are free to decide for yourself the candidate's intent, of course, but we stand by the accuracy and fairness of the story.

June 25, 2012 at 8:40 a.m.
  • Pretty irresponsible of the victoria advocate. I fail to believe that their writers dont have the common sense to determine if something is just a figure of speech.

June 24, 2012 at 9:42 p.m.
  • Maybe "the devil made me do it?" If I had seen the headline with "Evil Spirits" in it I would have thought must be the "World Wacko Tabloid" in front of a check-out counter. Did any one at the Victoria Advocate even proof read the bold print? Evil spirits? Really?

June 24, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.
  • Because I find myself behind the rest of the world, I have to go look things up...

yellow journalism
    — n
    the type of journalism that relies on sensationalism and lurid exaggeration to attract readers

June 24, 2012 at 3:09 p.m.
  • Yellow journalism!

June 24, 2012 at 2:25 p.m.
  • I agree with Jason and GOP on this one. Unless Mrs. Ramos specifically stated anything about black magic and not one quote given says black magic then VA owes this lady an apology. The original story did not mention black magic so someone has turned it into a tabloid. VA needs to take a hard look at their reporters, within a year I have noticed more of this high English class type of reporting.

June 24, 2012 at noon
  • the chupacabra did it

June 24, 2012 at 11:47 a.m.
  • It seems GOP was the only one that really understood my comment. I meant that it's my opinion the Advocate (writers of this story) has a dog in this fight, and it's not Annie.

I think any meant what she said in a biblical sense and the advocate has tried to make it seem like something else. I don't know Annie but I'm with GOP... She should get on here and as politely as possible give the Vicad a piece of her mind.

Yeah, GOP, I'm as shocked as you are that we agree.

June 24, 2012 at 10:58 a.m.
  • run for the hills folks, GOP is in total agreement with jason.
    Talk about taking something out of context or does the VA  have a favorite here?
    Truth is one cannot believe in God without acknowledging evil spirits.

Annie need to respond to this irresponsible reporting if the VA doesn't do the responsible thing here and put this tabloid piece of ... in the garbage.

infamousmissnell, a black sheet placed over anything in this context indicates evil intentions

June 24, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

June 24, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.
  • maybe she believes in brujeria?

June 24, 2012 at 9:26 a.m.
  • I agree with something is off. I don't remember the story having references to black magic originally. When I first read it last night the wording of "evil spirits" seemed to just be a nice way of calling these vandals jerks. Now it reads like a National Enquirer story.

June 24, 2012 at 8:38 a.m.
  • Really! Come on people. Annie Ramos is not saying witches and warlocks are out flying around the town vandalizing her signs. She is probably talking about the evil that is in people. She is an honest, good person and her judgement is always fair. Just because one person says something one way does mean you should take it literally.

June 24, 2012 at 8:35 a.m.
  • These politicians will do anything, say anything to get their name in the newspaper....and yet it worked, cause here were are posting about them. I do have serious doubts about an official that makes these kind of statements. Hope her judgement skills are better than her public statement skills.

June 24, 2012 at 7:39 a.m.
  • I'm having a little trouble understanding this, especially since it's my opinion that the statement was taken out of context.

I don't want anyone thinking I am supporting either of the candidates because I really don't know either one.

Did Annie mean their were sorcerers and witches after her signs or was what she said in more of a biblical sense?
    Does the Vicad have a favorite here?

June 24, 2012 at 7:07 a.m.
  • Da devil made me do it

June 24, 2012 at 6:50 a.m.
  • wow

i can't believe that statement was made by someone running from public office

June 24, 2012 at 2:29 a.m.
  • Really this lady is indicating a black sheet placed over her sign is evil spirits .... omg we don't need someone so naive in the office because the sheet was black dosnt make it evil if it was pink she think fairies did it ! Come on now !

June 24, 2012 at 2:25 a.m.