Home » DPS seizes $470,895 in drug money » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Illegal drugs and or money laundering seems worse or are they just catching on where these people are driving ? . It's not that DPS are targeting them, it's the stupid people that don't read the News and see they are catching them one by one daily! Keep up the Great work and maybe, just maybe, it will make people think before doing something so stupid.

March 8, 2012 at 7:57 p.m.
  • “…he was stopped for driving Mexican!”

Possibly, but I’m as non-Mexican as I can get (not that being Mexican is a bad thing!) and I’ve been pulled over for seemingly dubious violations and had my vehicle painstakingly searched. I understand that it wasn’t personal – apparently, what I was driving, the time I was driving, or some other condition that’s frequently associated with drug activity was erroneously linked to me or my vehicle. That is, unbeknownst to me, I was probably inadvertently exhibiting some type of common indicator of criminal activity.

It could have been the make of the vehicle, a bumper sticker, or something else entirely, but the trooper’s stated reason was that I was weaving. I doubt that I was actually weaving and I wasn’t cited for anything, but he did ask me for permission to search my car and, before I could answer affirmatively, he let me know that if I refused to consent to the search, then I’d have to wait for a K-9 unit to arrive and that might take a while. So, I had a choice of being detained for an undeterminable amount of time, or letting him quickly search my vehicle and be on my way. I chose the latter – he found nothing because I had nothing, I drove away, and all was good with the world, which kind of affirms SugarMagnolia’s statement that: “OBEY THE LAW AND YOU WON'T GET IN TROUBLE!”

Still, I believe that the trooper was manufacturing a probable cause (weaving) for his traffic stop, and then pseudo-extorting the search with a non-violent threat of an inconvenient detainment. However, he would probably just argue that he was using sound personal judgment in exercising the enormous amount of discretion that came with his job and it’s his opinion that carries the most weight, which seems apparent since those with big stashes of money and drugs are usually successfully prosecuted with no noteworthy probable cause issues.

March 7, 2012 at 10:57 a.m.
  • just a fyi, driving while mexican on 59 is just cause to be pulled over and stripped searched

March 7, 2012 at 10:18 a.m.
  • It was found in the truck of the car. proofread people

March 7, 2012 at 8:55 a.m.
  • By the way, DPS - excellent job! This is for you:

Thank you Texas Highway Patrol! Don't mess with Texas!

March 7, 2012 at 8:15 a.m.
  • Au contraire, Archie my dear, people are generally stopped for "driving while stupid". To cry racism and imply - no, excuse me, OUTRIGHT STATE- that officers of the law "cover their a**! especially if they're violating your civil rights!" is a fine example of just the kind of stupidity of which I speak. So, Archie, here's a little tidbit of wisdom for you because you are so lacking any (and even using the punctuation mark! of which you are so fond!)! : OBEY THE LAW AND YOU WON'T GET IN TROUBLE!

After all, Archie, even Forrest Gump knew that "stupid is as stupid does".

A person doesn't have half a mil in their vehicle so they can stop at Mickey D's and pay cash for a few burgers. Officers have EVERY RIGHT to use their discretion to determine "suspicion of criminal activity".

You should be ashamed of even bringing up race. Criminals, drug dealers, and all around stupid people occur in ALL races.

March 7, 2012 at 8:06 a.m.
  • he was stopped for driving Mexican! any hispanic on the road is a likely target for DPS! they'll say what they have to say to cover their a**! especially if they're violating your civil rights!

March 7, 2012 at 7:04 a.m.
  • " the trooper observed several signs of criminal activity" Or is that what they say to search the car?.............. What are those signs anyway?

March 7, 2012 at 6:10 a.m.
  • Why is it stacked like that?

March 7, 2012 at 12:05 a.m.