Two Victoria men accidentally shot at work; both recovering in hospitals
BY SONNY LONG AND JENNIFER PREYSS - SLONG@VICAD.COM;JLPREYSS@VICAD.COM
March 13, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
Updated March 13, 2012 at 10:14 p.m.
Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.SOURCE: National Rife Association
Two men were rushed to the hospital Monday after an accidental shooting at the Jackson Electric Cooperative in Edna.
Richard Paul Bourlan, 44, and Edward Matula, 65, both of Victoria, are both employees of the company.
The men were injured when Bourlan was showing Matula a new pistol at 2 p.m., Jackson County Sheriff Andy Louderback said Tuesday.
Bourlan, the handgun owner, shot himself in the arm and the other man in the lower abdomen, the sheriff said.
Neither injury was considered life-threatening.
"He thought it was unloaded," said the sheriff. "It was purely accidental. There was no intent. He forgot the first safety rule on handling weapons: Always assume a gun is loaded."
In Texas, firearms are allowed in the workplace at the discretion of the employer, the sheriff said.
"We already checked with them, and it is approved at the company," said Louderback, discussing Jackson Electric Cooperative's approval of firearms in the workplace.
He said it is up to the individual company about whether it allows employees to have concealed handguns in the workplace.
"If they allow them as part of the rules of employment, that's up to them."
As of Tuesday afternoon, Bourlan was listed in stable condition at DeTar Hospital Navarro, and Matula was in stable condition in the intensive care unit of Citizens Medical Center.