Comments

• We, humans are being over-run by these Pit Bulls. 3 to 10 million in the US.1 million are euthanized annually. 60 to 80% occupy the shelters and they're numbers are still multiplying. People, call your state representatives, get the laws changed, save our children and our own lives from the animals that we have bred so well to do their job - TO KILL! Otherwise, Texans, it is the law that states, if you feel threatened by any dog, you can kill it yourself, as long as it is not inclosed in their backyard. Do not wait for animal control or police, they can not protect you. I am a dog trainer, it is not the owners fault, not the dogs fault, it's our fault and our problem to fix it. Call your representative's - I have. New legislation in Texas is 2013. Start working on it.

April 4, 2012 at 1 p.m.
  • My wife and I are dog lovers and have had dogs we treated like kids(according to the kids better). The phote is heartbreaking regardless of the breed. The problem is irresponsible pet owners. They have the untimate responsiblity to care for their animals. That means total control 100% of the time.

March 21, 2012 at 10:25 a.m.
  • Bravo Visdmom, well stated.

I'm still frantically searching for the articles about the boxers, and schnauzers and possibly the Labs that have maimed and killed........I'm just not having any luck!

March 21, 2012 at 9:54 a.m.
  • First, I am glad to see I am not the only one posting several days after the original article and picture were run in the paper.

That said, while I don't necessarily LIKE the picture, I actually don't like to see any animal have to be put down. And it is what it is. It's time for you born-and-bred Victorians to wake up and realize this is not the same sweet town you remember and grew up in. I swear, if you regularly read and saw the pictures in large city newspapers, you might faint from the shock of real life.

A journalist's or newspaper's job is not to print/write sanitized versions of life so your sensibilities are not offended at any time. They are SUPPOSED to produce unbiased news for the people to know what is going on in the world around them. I admit to questioning the unbiased-ness when in comes to VicAd on occasion, but that goes for virtually all news media; it's not limited to our local news or newspaper.

To listen to you talk/post, whatever, an outsider would think you still live in the 1950's when everyone knew everyone else, your child could still be out all day long all over town and you knew he/she was safe, dogs ran free, cats ran free (don't EVEN get me started on that topic!), little Johnny was the perfect child and drugs didn't exist (yeah, right).

Do any of you at all even stop to consider that when people consider moving to a new location, they will go online and visit the website of the local TV stations and newspaper to see what stories are posted and what responses the local populace makes? The stories for the local TV stations look like they were written by third graders, and the posts from citizens make the residents of this town look like a bunch of yokels.

"Oh, please shield us from the unpleasantness of life, VicAd." Yes, that picture was graphic. About that you are correct. If you have never lived in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, etc., there is worse on the news and in the papers on a daily basis than that one picture will ever come close to portraying.

I believe Mr. Cobler has a difficult job of deciding what does and does not go into the paper each and every day. I don't always agree with those decisions. So even though you don't need my approval for anything at all - you go Mr. Cobler. Keep printing those relevant stories, and printing the pictures you feel need to be printed.

March 21, 2012 at 7:53 a.m.
  • The photo is not inappropriate. It shows what had to happen. The police did what they had to do. I'm a former pit bull owner, that still loves the breed. However, I believe the breed to be unpredictable and would never again have another. Unfortunately, through the generations they have been bred by gangster trash to the same disrespectful standard that gangster trash lives their lives. These dogs attacked and had to be dealt with...End of story!

March 21, 2012 at 12:38 a.m.
  • Debunker, nicely said regarding Oldtymephotos commentary. You have valid points, and have debunked hers. I realize this is a place to express opinions, but sometimes people forget that animals are not humans. I love animals, but if I had to make a choice of life for a human vs. an animal, the human should come first. I'm probably off-point here, but that is my opinion. Thank you VicAd for giving us the opportunity to express our opinions.

March 20, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
  • Erin-
    I appreciate the clarification but, with all respect, if the Animal Control Officer can be called out after hours to pick up a dog, they can also pick up a citation book (see where I'm going with this?) and pick up a pen and issue citations at the scene. Also, if you're dealing with the third dog attack over a week, it might behoove the Head ACO to make themself availible to the local press and explain Animal Control's response to these ongoing incidents.. So did any of these dogs have a history with Animal Control? What actions has Animal Control taken in the past to address issues with these dogs?

March 20, 2012 at 8:10 a.m.
  • Ever since an Animal Control person got bit. Pretty badly too so I hear, Ripped their arm open... They have REFUSED to respond to vicious animal calls until after the animal has been contained by others. Even though THEY are the ones trained to do so.

I don't know if the person who got bit was poorly trained, wrongly handled the situation, or it simply was one of those things that happens no matter how well you try to prevent it. But the fact is, ever since that time, Animal Control's Policy is to NOT DO IT'S JOB and to let other UNTRAINED people, be they police or Civilians, do their job for them. All they will do is collect (after containment)

Animal control has "fallen off the horse" and they are afraid and refuse to get back up on it.

March 20, 2012 at 12:20 a.m.
  • Innocent or not, conditioned or not, abused or not. A violent dog charging after a human being, be that human a child, a civilian adult, or a police officer, the life of the person come before the dog.

It would be nice if that nasty snarling dog would but just wait for Animal control to show up with those humane darts.

It would be nice to have an Animal control that would respond at all.

It is a stated fact from Animal Control to VPD that they WILL NOT RESPOND to and such calls as these UNTIL AFTER THE ANIMAL IS CONTAINED. In other words..... Animal control WILL NOT DO IT'S JOB but expects others to do it for them.

You got a problem with an animal? Animal control will leave you the traps, call them back when YOU'VE trapped them and they will come collect. THAT'S A FACT.

A vicious animal call? Animal Control WILL NOT respond til the situations contained. And we have seen Law Enforcement's only method of containment.

You wanna blame cops? Blame Animal control.

March 20, 2012 at 12:09 a.m.
  • A commentary on "oldtimephotos"....

"I am a native Victorian/Texas"

Good for you but what's your point in relation to your comments? Being a native Victorian makes the stuff you are about to say more valid than others who may disagree and may not be native Victorians?

"and a member of Crossroads Pet Rescue & Rehabilitation!"

Establish your "Clear Bias" early. Good.

"Through the years I have seen animals get shot by the local
    law enforcement, in the throes of anxious moments."

You have seen... as in personally witnessed? or are you just imposing your own opinion without justification as to the "in the throes of anxious moments" Like you did in your first post when you NASTILY and WRONGLY referred to Police brutality and Overreacting gun happy officers.

"There is such a thing as the harmless darts to shoot
    at animals to render them helpless, and easily captured."

Yes there are. ANIMAL CONTROL has them. NOT POLICE OFFICERS.

"Additionally, a very well trained/qualified Animal Dog Catcher would be capable and properly trained of handling the situation more humanely!"

Therein lies the problem. We DO NOT HAVE a good qualified Dog Catcher/Animal Control. It is left up to police who have but one option. and we have seen that option demonstrated several times lately as the subject of this very article.

"Aggressive animals are a direct result of their environment,
    and have been rendered as such by abusive treatment."

True, but you (intentionally?) forgot breeding as well. Some breeds are bred from aggressiveness, and that aggressiveness is present even when raised by a loving family. Too many Vicious breeds have attacked who were raised in loving homes, and were NOT the subject of abuse.
    That would be your bias poking through would it not?
    See? Good you established your bias early on.

"There has got to be a better way to protect society from feral dogs"

There is. It's called "shoot on sight". But that's not the point here. These Dogs were not feral, they were pets allowed to run amok the neighborhoods off leash and not kept penned. Feral dogs are Wild with no owners.

"My first sympathies do of course, go to the folks that were endangered and attacked."

NO they don't! Otherwise you would not be blathering on about trigger happy cops committing police brutality against the animals when those police were in fact protecting the lives of those you pretend to have sympathies for.

"But my heart goes out to innocent animals that have been conditioned to such actions as well. It is a very sad situation."

Yup, there goes your true sympathies. Your bias again.

March 20, 2012 at 12:08 a.m.
  • The Advocate's decision to publish the photo was the correct one. But to run it in color was in poor, poor taste and leads one to again question so-called credibility versus sensationalism. Running the photo in black and white would have accomplished the Advocate's intent while minimizing the graphic nature of the scene. It simply boils down to a matter of comon sense.

March 19, 2012 at 10:22 p.m.

March 19, 2012 at 5:17 a.m.
  • gansoblanco

To clarify: "'Animal control will determine later whether charges will be filed,' the officer said." was a continuation of comments from Victoria Police Sgt. Lee Lemmons.

While they had someone on call to pick up the animals, animal control officials were not available for comment since it was after business hours on Friday when the attack occurred.

March 18, 2012 at 5:35 p.m.

March 18, 2012 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Countrychic..."the horrendous picture did not have to be."

Puleeeze. There isn't anyone around who hasn't seen real live dead animals on the roads. Horrendous is a big dog or deer that's been mangled by being run over multiple times with icky innards spread across the pavement. The picture wouldn't have been made and the story wouldn't have been necessary if the stupid people who owned the dog had kept it behind a fence like they were supposed to do.

March 18, 2012 at 10:23 a.m.
  • well said kingdinero! i agree with telling the story of idiot people who have no business having these animals. the horrendous picture did not have to be. wish that could be done with all the human animals who have a brain and should know better. if they're out of control, crazy, etc. shoot them to protect the innocent people.

March 18, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.
  • This isn't about the police officer shooting the animal. Yes, he did what he had to do. This is about posting a tasteless picture on the front of the Victoria advocate. Again I will say the photo should not have been used to prove a point. Everyone knows pits are aggressive. A story would have been just fine. The worst thing is the child in the back ground looking at the dog. This is why the world is the way it is. People feed off of negative crap.

March 18, 2012 at 9:22 a.m.
  • I don't think posting the photo was tasteless. Nor the story. Like the staff said, it tells us what's going on on the streets. Is it controversial material? Yea, probably. Is it wrong to post it? I don't believe it is. Not surprisingly, it offends some people, and probably turns them off, or even sickens them. I won't go so far as to say Victorians are weak, or soft... because we all have our limits. Everyone has their limits and boundaries.

I truly believe the staff discussed the issue at length beforehand, and made a sound, conscious decision. They must have known the hullabaloo it would stir up, but decided to go with it for the sake of bringing a concern to light. I don't know Mr. Cobler personally, but he seems he like a decent, sensible fellow. I can't see him doing or saying anything distasteful merely for the sale of papers.

March 18, 2012 at 7:55 a.m.
  • Suehedtke...Perhaps you would like it better if the next time one of these animals attacks a child, the Advocate would publish a picture of him or her. That would show what these dogs are capable of doing.

A bullet is the simplest, most reasonable and cheapest solution for a wild dog that is attacking a person or that person's pet that is on a leash. The cops showed remarkable restraint in not shooting the dog immediately. This is yet another reason for citizens to obtain a permit for a concealed handgun and CARRY IT. Not all attacks are by two legged muggers. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. And, no, that is NOT a slam at the pollice. They are few and cannot be everywhere they are needed at the time they are needed. If a wild dog attacks a person carrying a handgun, the situation can be dealt with without having to climb onto a stranger's car.

The owners of the pit bulls, if known and found, should be cited for maintaining a public health threat. Certainly, their names and addresses should be published so the citizens will know who keeps and where these vicious dogs. If the dog attacks someone, I would hope the owner of the dog has either very deep pockets or very good insurance.

March 17, 2012 at 11:21 p.m.
  • I agree with JArthur. His post/comment is best on this subject. Victoria Advocate did a great job with this story. I find nothing wrong with the photo.
    Telling it like it is. WTG VA.

March 17, 2012 at 10:18 p.m.
  • As Dianna Wray's mother, I just want to say thank you to the Good Samaritans who helped her get Dolly and herself away from those dogs. I am a lover of animals, but I love my daughter more. Since there was no way my daughter was going to let those pit bulls get to Dolly while she was still standing, she could have been really hurt! So thank you to the men who stopped, the police officers, and the animal control persons. It is heart warming to know my daughter lives in a community where people help each other.

March 17, 2012 at 9:51 p.m.
  • JArthur easily has the most intelligent and well thought out comment about this article. I agree completely with every word he said! As for Sue's friends, I am sorry for the little girls who saw a disturbing photo. I really am. However, I personally think the printing of the picture drove home the point of a story that otherwise may have been overlooked by many people. Friday could have been a terrible and tragic day for a couple of innocent Victorians. That we are talking about a photo that some find offensive instead of a horrible mauling is a small miracle!

I sometimes complain about the Advocate, but not in this case. Bravo, VA!!!

March 17, 2012 at 8:55 p.m.

March 17, 2012 at 6:37 p.m.
  • Congratulations to the Victoria Advocate! You have demonstrated integrity, courage and responsibility in performing an important community service. While the article, headlined “ Police kill pit bull, 3 incidents reported in a week” provides some of the basic facts regarding this and related recent incidents linked to menacing dogs, the single dramatic photograph on the front page of the Advocate, transforms the dry facts and details of this story into a far more understandable and compelling news report. I say “understandable,” because so much more about the real threat and danger of stray dogs is brought home in a comprehensive and justifiably emotional way to the reader as a result of this single photograph.

The photo by itself, beyond its value as a journalistic record that summarizes the repercussion of this story, is extraordinary in its composition and the power it conveys. I tip my hat not only to the photographer who took such a compelling photo, but also to the editors who demonstrated solid journalistic instincts and the strength of their convictions in publishing it.

If Pulitzer Prizes are ever awarded for “small” local news stories, you deserve one. You make me and I’m sure many members of the greater Victoria community proud.

March 17, 2012 at 6:15 p.m.
  • ALL pit bull dogs should look like the one in this picture. they are a useless breed of dog.

March 17, 2012 at 6:05 p.m.
  • The officer did what he had to do. This would have not happened if the owners would have kept them in their on yard chained or behind a fence. I have two dogs that I keep in my own yard. If I had a dog come at me with aggression out side of it's own yard, I would have taken it out too. No questions asked...

March 17, 2012 at 5:59 p.m.
  • Irresponsible people will not take heed of this photo & suddenly start taking proper care of their pets. We see dead pets on the sides of roads more than we should, yet people still allow their animals to run free.

I agree with whoever said the dogs owners name should be published. I also do agree that there were plenty of reasons to cite the owner for the dogs behavior. It would be interesting to find out how animal control personel spend their workdays, they are public employees, what exactly are they doing to curb the loose/stray dangerous animal population, it doesn't seem like they are doing much.

I am glad the people terrorized by these dogs were able to walk away, that had to be a terrifying ordeal.

March 17, 2012 at 5:48 p.m.
  • I am an animal lover first off. Secondly. I was dogbit by a German shepherd when I was 10 yrs old. I had a traumatic experience. To be attacked by any dog is very serious! I will never stop being afraid of any aggressive breed of dog. That said, the officer did what had to be done. The picture was graphic but very real. If it compels any dog owner to become more responsible, it was worth the shock value. We all have our opinions, but the Vicad is just reporting the news. Victoria isn't the little small town it used to be...it's becoming more metropolitan. Growing pains.

March 17, 2012 at 5:32 p.m.
  • I am a native Victorian/Texas

and a member of Crossroads Pet Rescue & Rehabilitation!

Through the years I have seen animals get shot by the local

law enforcement, in the throes of anxious moments.

There is such a thing as the harmless darts to shoot

at animals to render them helpless, and easily captured.

Additionally, a very well trained/qualified Animal

humanely!

Aggressive animals are a direct result of their environment,

and have been rendered as such by abusive treatment.

There has got to be a better way to protect society from

feral dogs, hopefully someday it will be.

My first sympathies do of course, go to the folks

that were endangered and attacked.

But my heart goes out to innocent animals that have

been conditioned to such actions as well. It is a very sad situation.

March 17, 2012 at 4:53 p.m.
  • I think it is horrible that these people were threatened by someone's uncontrolled animals. I do not think it was necessary to publish that horrible picture on the front page of the newspaper. I have already talked to two of my friends who are so angry they are cancelling their subscriptions to the Advocate. Every child in town was exposed to a graphic and detailed picture of a dog that was not just shot but mangled and mutilated. And don't give me the "violent breed" story. The breed is only as violent as the owner. At one time in was the doberman, and then the Rottweiler; now it is the pit bull. In decades past the Pit Bull was considered one of the most gentle and loving companion dogs. Dog fighting goes on in this town. Everyone knows it. The problem is with animal control who need to stop the problem before someone actually gets attacked or harmed and we have to look at a picture of a bloody dead dog on a beautiful Saturday morning, when we open the paper at the breakfast table. One of my friends said both her little girls cried for an hour and didn't understand why someone would hurt the dog.. Chris...I am usually with you, and think you have been great for the Advocate. But you are totally wrong on this one. If you want to show what the police is exposed to...how about a snapshot of the back seat of the police car the next time some drunk vomits in it....or a detailed close-up of the stab wound of the guy knifed in the bar fight. What's the difference?

March 17, 2012 at 4:18 p.m.
  • gansoblanco,
    A most excellent post!

March 17, 2012 at 3:25 p.m.
  • “….and can't understand how it is that a lot of poor people own them when they are on Government food programs to support their families...”

For a lot of “poor” people, these dogs are their police department and alarm company. They feel the meaner the dog, the less chance someone will be sneaking around their house in the middle of the night. If someone does, half the street will know about it.
    The south side of town is a complete different city at night from the north side. Many people live in fear. They think the police take longer to respond to calls, people are scared to report crime due to the fear of being retaliated against. Same goes for being a witness. Drive by shootings are common, and are rarely reported in the newspaper. Evening strolls after dark are unheard of. It’s a completely different place.
    So that tied up pit bull you see in someone’s front yard is actually a security blanket for them. It lets them sleep at night. It gives them peace of mind.
    Animal cruelty? Sure. I’m not saying it’s right, just saying why you'll see many of these dogs in the poorer neigborhoods. Fear.

March 17, 2012 at 2:34 p.m.

March 17, 2012 at 2:13 p.m.
  • Two things about this article I find very offensive:

Firstly, why aren't the people that OWNED the dogs NAMED in the article?!

The dog-owners are the responsible party. The dead dog has it's picture in the paper but the dog owners that are responsible? They get an anonymous pass. Everyone wants to claim that owners are responsible for the dog's actions but the dog owners names somehow don't make it into the paper. It's a mystery how these dogs attack again & again but the humans that own them are never named in the paper.

Secondly, the comment by Mr. Lopez, the Chief Animal Control Officer, "Animal control will determine later whether charges will be filed, the officer said." is astoundingly inept and calls Animal Control's competence into question. While ACO Lopez has a rehearsed speech as a pitbull apologist at the beginning of the article, after two pitbull dogs have attacked one man and attacked Police Officers at the end of the article, Animal Control can't figure what citations to issue until later when they have time to think about it? Let me help you out ACO Lopez: Were the dogs currently vaccinated for rabies? If not, write them a ticket. Were the dogs in violation of the city restraint ordinance (clue:apparently)? Write them a ticket. If you want to go back and think about filing for a dangerous dog violation that's another thing but do your job when you're still at the scene.

One other thing ACO Lopez, when the media shows up professional animal control officers will bag or cover dead animals. Word to the wise.

ChrisCobler-
    I don't have a problem with the photo and I am grateful to you for running it. Animal Control Officers entertain such sights, sound, and smells daily and the indignity of the general public will hopefully translate into a recognition of this stressful, demanding, and low paying work.

One favor Chris: do a Open Records request for the number and type of citations that Animal Control has issued in the past 3 years. In my experience lax enforcement leads to the types of events this story describes.....while you're at it request any and all records regarding animal control activity at the addresses and on the streets where these dogs live. Has Animal Control worked complaints on these dogs before and, if so, what was the outcome?

I have a hard time believing all these incidents came up without there being a history.

March 17, 2012 at 2:13 p.m.
  • that story could have been told without that horrible picture. vicad, is that what it takes to get more people to read or talk about your paper?? shameful!!

March 17, 2012 at 2:11 p.m.

March 17, 2012 at 2:09 p.m.

March 17, 2012 at 1:57 p.m.
  • It's a shame that we can't take a relaxing walk without having to worry about some animal attacking us. Dogs are pack animals and will tear us apart as one did to my neighbors small dog recently unfortunately, her beloved pet didn't live thru that. I have a fear of being attacked so this keeps me from walking and enjoying the beautiful scenary and this doesn't just happen in Victoria, it's everywhere. Pepper Spray just doesn't do the trick from what I have been told so perhaps there's an alternative like a BIG stick or something more potent. Think that our survival instinct kicks in at moments of attack and I'd probably really mess these dogs up with a stick, lol but it's the elderly people or people with bad hearts that can't do much to defend themselves. Sorry to offend dog lovers but those aggressive dogs need to be banned from society and anyone caught with one should be fined heavily and the dog put down. I love dogs also but have always taken responsibility for their actions such as barking or disturbing neighbors but I have never owned a dog that was that vicious. They eat and poop to much too and can't understand how it is that a lot of poor people own them when they are on Government food programs to support their families...

March 17, 2012 at 1:54 p.m.
  • The photograph was gratuitous. A towel or cover over the animal would have conveyed the same point without the trauma. Next we will be seeing all the road kills to convey the point further for all the loose animals.

March 17, 2012 at 1:31 p.m.
  • the picture of the dead dog on the front page was horrible and tastless i had already read the article in fridays issue it was detailed enough, didnt need to see the picture in todays issue i threw the paper in the trash had lost my interest to read it

March 17, 2012 at 1:29 p.m.
  • That picture is in very poor taste. There is no need for a picture of this bloody, dead animal. You should be ashamed Vic adv!!!

March 17, 2012 at 1:21 p.m.
  • The photo was Real.. I think people need to see the Real reality of what could happen when a Dog whom attacks.. As I always have this in the back of my mind... I am a Bull terrrier Owner..

March 17, 2012 at 12:26 p.m.
  • If all the Kids that were abused could have the Strength of a Bull terriers jaw, I bet we would have alot of Kids being put down too..

Thank you Joe Lopez for explaining that Dogs in General will bite.. Some are Very strong bites and some are several little bites..
    I do believe we need to go thru some training and be certified to keep these dogs..

March 17, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.
  • To Ms. Wray and the "unidentified" gentleman, I can not imagine how truely frightening you must have been. I am thankful that in both incidents you got away as unscathed physically as possible. Ms. Wray, I hope, also that Dolly is recouping well. I, too am a proud owner of two precious terriers. God bless you. God bless the citizens and animal control and police officers who helped you as fast as they could. What terror, too, you, "unidentified" man must have felt, as you ran for your life! What a horrrific experience, you both, but separately endured. How extremely emotionally scarring this must have been.

The "STORY" is newsworthy. Thank God, people came to the rescue of Ms. Wray as she fearfully fled from the attack. Those men are heroes who eventually helped protect her. Thank God the police and animal control arrived to rescue the "unidentified" gentleman. I am in agreement with the officer(s) for putting the attacking and vicious dog down in protecting others and/or themselves. I know that the officer(s) used trained and professional judgement and were there because they were called in for protection. LE did what was necessary to protect lives. I would pray and expect that if I was in that situation, walking my two family pets or even alone and facing the unprovoked aggression and attack by vicious other dogs/animals, that help would come quickly and the demise of the attackers/dogs would end the same. However; Vicad did not NEED to add the bloody and gruesome photo to the story. I am NOT defending the dead dog. Psychological sensationalism at it's worst, unecessary and printed for what GOOD? I will not argue or defend my opinion w/ others on this board who defend posting this photo and say,"It's life, get over it." However; I will state: MY life doesn't consist of purposefully looking at nor looking for gruesome photos, gore, inappropriate content, watching or witnessing killing of any animal or human or being voyeristic at or over tragedies of any kind. I use newspapers in my classroom and I almost vomited when I saw this. My mind can paint its own picture of a shot dead animal, as my mind pictured, as I read this story, the fear and panic and horror that Ms Wray felt as she endured this attack and the terror the man endured as he fled from his danger. I am thankful that at least one of these vicious animals was shot and destroyed. However; I see no good in displaying this gruesome photo. The owner(s) of any types/breeds of vicious animals will NOT suffer or be taught a lesson. Remember Michael Vick? Vicad, Mr. Cobbler, what was the "GOOD" of displaying this video and photo? Honestly, Mr. Cobbler, what was the MORAL you wanted to convey in having the gruesome graphic photo of a young boy looking over at the bloody dead dog?

March 17, 2012 at 12:04 p.m.
  • OldTimePhotos: Have you ever tried to capture a very aggressive animal before? The police officer did what he had to do, and I am glad that they did put down an animal that is threatening people. Once a pit bull locks onto you it is very hard to get them off, so why risk harming other innocent bystanders to humanly put down the dog by injection. I applause the VPD for protecting our citizens from these stray animals.

March 17, 2012 at 10:31 a.m.
  • Well good police work humans come first

March 17, 2012 at 10:27 a.m.
  • "this was just a short cut by some overreacting police officer

that probably loved to hunt or shoot his gun."

Oh please tell me that you're not a Native Texan? If you are a Native Texan or even if you're not please move to NYC or Washington DC where you will fit in better with the rest of the morons and card carrying PETA members..

March 17, 2012 at 10:27 a.m.
  • I'm glad it was posted. It "should" wake some people up. Many people just skim articles, or dismiss them altogether, but this one image, says it all. "If you want your dog to be safe, contain it", or "if you want your child to be safe, shoot it".
    It also says to me, "one more child protected from harm from a vicious dog"

All of this "info" from just a glance of a picture.

March 17, 2012 at 10:12 a.m.
  • It's not being soft or a wuss to say that this photo shouldn't be posted. I just think it wasnt needed,what about reading this post with a photo or without, is there any difference you can still understand what the article is about. Maybe to not all, animals are not family or people but to some, animals are family to them. Yes the owners didn't take care of the ones that were running around attacking people. Still we don't have to go as far as to show a dead dog bloody on the street. Just think if this was a animal of yours or someone close to you would you want to see it in the same position.

March 17, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.
  • Good photo. Thanks for publishing it. This is what happens when pit bulls are promoted and acquired by those who then fail to manage these gamebred/ potentially dangerous dogs. Pit pushers say that pits are just normal dogs. Well, the dogmen who created them and still fight dogs don't think so;
    that's why they only use pit types. Let them become extinct thru free mandatory, enforced spay/neuter, microchipping if all pits/ pit types, all dog aggressive dogs. All dogs win, especially the pit types themselves.

March 17, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.
  • Another useless use of police brutality!

I am sure that the dog could have been captured

or shot with a subduing dart to incapicate it.

Then, it could have been put to sleep in a more humane way.

this was just a short cut by some overreacting police officer

that probably loved to hunt or shoot his gun.

Very sad indeed.

March 17, 2012 at 9:35 a.m.
  • once again, Victoria Advocate has to post such horrible photos. Who does this. Who runs the advocate to allow such tasteless photos.

March 17, 2012 at 9:32 a.m.
  • I find the picture shocking too but my hope is it will shock irresponsible pet owners into keeping their dogs properly fenced. All breed owners. And not chained or tied, if you don't have a proper fence then you shouldn't have a dog. Your cute poodle may not bite but it could easily be hit by a car and end up with the same fate.

March 17, 2012 at 9:23 a.m.
  • You bunch of wusses! The photo of a boy looking at a dead dog. That is life! Get used to it. This world is not all candy and lollypops. There is death and destruction around every corner. Thank you Vicad for posting this photo. It shows real life on the streets of Victoria. You wusses need to grow up and learn about what is going on in your town and the world for that fact. It is not pretty. If you don't like it then don't read the paper.

March 17, 2012 at 6:12 a.m.
  • People need to stop treating animals as if they were human. Especially an animal that attacked a human. This photo shows zero position or bias. It shows a dead dog. Not a family member because family members are human.

Victorians have become soft, very soft.

Whoever asked about using photos of people killed by police officers, of course they don't. The "people" killed buy the PO are human and deserving of a little respect.

If anything they should have left the kid out of the picture.

March 17, 2012 at 3:49 a.m.
  • The photo does not bother me one bit. Your excuse for using it does.
    See what is happening on our streets? At the same time claiming no position or bias? If so where are the photo's of the victims of the attacks and their injuries?
    Do you also use photos of people killed by police? You know. To show what is happening on our streets.

March 17, 2012 at 1:41 a.m.
  • I'm in complete & utter disgust that yall would do such a thing as to put this photo up. Shame on YOU! We can read whats happening on our streets rather than seeing such gruesome photos that are disturbing to see. This is just horrible. Yall really need to get your ducks in a row cause this is totally inappropriate and heartless.

March 17, 2012 at 1:32 a.m.
  • Another meeting to discuss the photo is imperative, If the dog was needed for the story, an image of the back legs with the animal control truck or police unit in the foreground would have relayed that message the fate of the animal.

March 17, 2012 at 12:42 a.m.
  • It's one thing to show us when we can read it, we don't need to see a dead dog on vicad and just to think there's a young man staring at the dog in the picture as well maybe it should have been discussed more before posting it. Sad day when you open up the paper to see a dead dog on it or look it up on the web please remove this horrible picture we understand by reading really.

March 17, 2012 at 12:39 a.m.
  • I'm sorry, I do not believe that horrible photo "tells a story," other than grabbing for attention through shock value. In my opinion, it is tasteless and not acceptable in a community newspaper. The story is in the text, not the image.

March 17, 2012 at 12:22 a.m.
  • I agree that it is a sad, sad photo. Shame on you. We can read without having to see a dead dog so gruesomely displayed.

March 17, 2012 at 12:02 a.m.
  • Remove the gruesome photo, VICAD. Tasteless!!

March 16, 2012 at 11:26 p.m.