Comments

• Wow, thanks Dianna Wray for writing this story, it brought back soooo much of my childhood (I know the Glass's personally, along with some of the "older"generation names from the 70's/80's boom such as Chenault, Tighe, McLeroy to name a few). Also....API, Desk and Derrick, the Oil and Gas expo, rig parties......they were so much of my childhood since both my mom and step-dad were oilfield personnel. Thanks for bringing so many good memories to the forefront for me.

March 20, 2012 at 12:25 a.m.
  • Nope....sorry, but i have to say familyman is correct. One way the companies get around paying overtime is by paying salary instead. So therefore the "average" oilfield worker is not making the $100,000 a year. I know I'd LOVE for my husband to be makimg that, but in reality....he's making about half that. And, top that off with not being able to find housing close to where he (Yorktown) or I (Kenedy) work.....means we are burning up a lot of our paychecks just getting back and forth to work! Thank goodness for his son and fsmily for letting us stay with them here in Victoria until we can get back on our feet after my husband being laid off 2 years ago (from the oilfield after 25 years) and getting a security job until getting the call to return to Victoria (and the oilfield which is where he loves to work).

March 20, 2012 at 12:19 a.m.
  • Believe me, from my vantage point I can assure you that there is all the work in the world available, along with the money (read: wages, with all the sweet overtime one could possibly want) to accompany it in this industry right now.

Just remember, those that work all the overtime are DRIVING these big rigs and heavy equipment trucks on the road. Sometimes people working themselves half to death wind up putting others in danger, especially on the roadways. Not blaming anyone; when the boom times present themselves, wise people take advantage of them. Just be aware when out on the road; with increased EFS activity, we have seen way too many accidents.

There is a constant flow of new hires recently; this play will eventually play out. But for now, it seems these companies can't get enough employees. Boom times indeed.

March 18, 2012 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Yes familyman but the companies are working these guys sometimes 80 hours a week or more, including the truck drivers. $20/hour means $30/hour overtime. There's a shortage of help out there.

March 18, 2012 at 8:15 a.m.
  • Overtime.

March 18, 2012 at 6:31 a.m.
  • The average oil-field worker gets about $100,000 a year right now, Railroad Commissioner Barry Smitherman recently said at the Victoria Energy Summit.

I worked in the oilfield since I started working and only the big wigs make $100,000 per year. The average oilfield worker is doing good to make $3,000 per month or $36,000 per year maybe $40,000 per year. $100,000 per year equals about $50 per hour for a 40 hour week. Do you know anyone that makes $50 per hour in the oilfield? This Barry Smitherman needs to get his facts straight.

March 18, 2012 at 3:45 a.m.