Comments

United Airlines just banned the transport of Pit Bulls along with nine other breeds due to them being dangerous.

March 29, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.
  • Chuch Finley-

I would encourage you to actually read the Code before commenting on it and note the age limits the Code specifies. Are you suggesting that a 4 year old child should be required by law to be able to read "NO TRESPASSING" signs and understand Texas trespass law?

How much time have you spent around 4 year olds?

March 29, 2012 at 8:13 a.m.
  • buckylee,

Was the Cocker Spaniel your dog?

March 29, 2012 at 12:52 a.m.
  • Well then, they should ban cocker spaniels while we are at it. My daughters face is forever scarred because of a cocker spaniel that, I was told, loved kids and was the sweetest most loving thing ever! Darn viciouse animal almost tore my daughters upper lip off and probably would have if I had not grabbed my daughter as soon as the dog snapped. Yet my pits have never harmed my children, not even come close to it, but of course a cocker spaniel attack is not going to make the news because it doesn't sound as vicouse.

If anything public fear of the breed has made things worse. Everyone is scared of these animals and so our natural instinct is to defend ourselves when we feel this way, which in turn makes the dog feel they have to defend themselves. My kneighbor has a dog that he always has loose in the front yard ( no fence). One day my husband and I took our pitbull out ( on a leash) and we were playing with him in our front yard. All of a sudden our kneighbors dog starts growling and barking and then he charges for my dog. Out comes my kneighbor with a can of pepper spray, and even though my dog was standing still on a leash by my side, my idiot kneighbor starts spraying MY dog, while his is still charging away! Needless to say, my dog, if I did not picked him up and moved him away from the pepper sprays line of fire, would have probably tried to charge my kneighbor in self defense. I have had other kneighbors say that my dog attacked them while walking.....sure, I guess he unchained himself, unlocked the gate then after he was done locked the gate and put the chain back on. O yeah my favorite was when one of my other neighbors said my dogs killed their cat at night, when in fact the dogs were sleeping in our living room all night!

March 29, 2012 at midnight
  • "Health and Safety Code. Title 10. Health and Safety of Animals. Chapter 822. Regulation of Animals.
    Subchapter A. Dogs That Are a Danger to Persons"

They weren't being a danger to persons if the persons were taught to not trespass on other peoples property. The dogs were chained inside their own shelters which were inside of another fence. The homeowner did nothing wrong and should not be held liable.

I feel sorry for the person who trespasses into my yard. My dogs aren't pits, but they are big friendly dogs unless they feel that you are threatening them or my family.

March 28, 2012 at 9:27 p.m.
  • I'm so sorry to hear of the 4 year old being mauled to death by the pit bull dog. My condolences to the family.
    These aggressive dogs need to be banned as I have said before many times. They make me feel very uncomfortable as do a lot of other people. Hopefully cities from all over the US will learn from these occurrences and actually do something to end the possession of aggressive dogs.

March 28, 2012 at 4:29 p.m.
  • BoyWonder, the level of aggression is the same. If a dog is scared, it bites. All dogs do. I'm not saying Pit bulls don't. But let me simplify was I WAS saying: if I were FOR banning dogs, which I am not, I would ban dogs with high levels of aggression, chihuahuas included because their aggression levels are extremely high as well as numerous other dogs of various sizes. However, I am NOT for banning dogs, I am for owner knowledge and responsibility of their ownership of their dogs. Which is why I also went on about dog parks and socialization. Did I touch a nerve because you maybe own small dogs? Here's a reality check, large dog owners will protect large dogs, small dog owners will do the same for small dogs. Many people have pits, and sympathize for the breed because it could be their dog taken away from them if we ban breeds, even if their dog is completely innocent, and has never harmed a fly. I have a red heeler, smartest dog I've ever owned, sweet too. But I also know that I can't have him around small children because he tries to herd them, nipping at heels. What he was bred to do. What I was trying to apparently unsuccessfully say was that ANY and ALL dog owners should be aware of what their dog is bred to do. Take a class, do some research. Don't own a dog just to say you have a dog. Be aware of what condition your fences are in, be aware of what your dog is capable of, regardless of their behavior towards you. Take necessary precautions prevent accidents from happening, and socialize your dog young, so the rest of us won't end up paying for the accidents make the rest of us dog owners look bad. Hopefully that clears things up.

March 28, 2012 at 3:42 p.m.
  • No offense Boy Wonder, but you don't know that those owners did or didn't train that pitbull to be aggressive, even in play. So how can you judge if you don't know the whole story. I would want to know how they trained that dog since it was a puppy. Gotta know the whole story before the facts can be proven.

March 28, 2012 at 2:35 p.m.
  • Ok bkocian, I'll play your silly game. You say poodles, beagles and chihuahuas can be aggressive, but you tell me when the last time you heard of one of these breeds attacking someone to the point they jumped on top of a car for safety! Or mauled someone to death! You can't! If you can't see the difference, there is no sense in discussing the point with you.

Look on YouTube under pit bull attacks and see the countless people who have been maimed and killed by pits, and in most cases the families had actually raised these dogs since birth. Watch that video and then lets hear you talk about aggressive poodles and Chihuahuas and see how foolish you sound! But, oh yeah, it's all a media conspiracy, right! What a joke!

March 27, 2012 at 9:41 p.m.
  • Lovechild:

Subchapter A. Dogs That Are a Danger to Persons

March 27, 2012 at 8:37 p.m.
  • This was a restrained dog on private property out in the county. This is not a case of owner negligece. What law did the dog's owner break?

March 27, 2012 at 7:27 p.m.
  • Ok seriously, I think that banning breeds is going a little too far. At the very most, people wanting to own pitbulls should probably have to sit through a class on animal training and responsibility. But then again, maybe most pet owners should. And as far as poodles beagles not attacking I call bull. All dog breeds can be aggressive. We want to talk about aggressive dogs? How about Chihuahuas?? Because those little guys are mean little dudes. I know personally of dog bites and injuries from them, but no, its ok, they're little, they don't know any better. I'm tired of little dogs being treated with more laxity because they are "cute". I don't care. If we're going to ban dogs based on aggression, that would be my number one breed to ban first. However, those are one of the leading dog breeds owned. This is why Victoria is in dire need of a dog park NOW. Responsible owners can bring their dogs in to socialize with other dogs, and people as well. Socialized dogs that are used to the presence of other dogs and people are much less likely to attack because they are no longer afraid of new people/animals/etc. They associate new people with good feelings. Scared dogs attack, not happy ones.

March 27, 2012 at 6:01 p.m.
  • Well yes you never hear about the other breeds attacking...maybe because of some sort of bias...the media has found its villian...exploit it to the fullest...the fact remains...properly contained ANIMALS....not just pit bull dogs have a much less degree of violent attacks reported. Unless one is to encroach upon its territory...Animals of any breed or species can and will attack. It's what they are instinctively bred to do. While we have "domesticated" these animals...guess what they are still instinct based...I don't care if its a pit or a poodle it CAN and WILL attack if its instinct tells it to do so...I personally have had multiple alligators as HOUSEHOLD pets...but with respect for the creatures Wild at heart instincts...its about responsibility here people not blame of a breed...and I personally don't care for pit bulls because I don't have a need for its natural talents...but for those who must blame someone or something...blame supervision, responsibility, and logic...or the lack thereof in the majority of cases reported...it is those who lack the required capacity of common sense and respect for any animal that should face the jury...victims in some cases owners in most cases...these tragedies are easily avoided with a little care and respect on both sides of the fence...

March 27, 2012 at 5:14 p.m.
  • Cricket1979
    Well said. My dog is like a kid. Loves to play and is loyal as hell. I guarantee u, she would die protecting her family and house. She is a pit bull. So is it right to get rid of her knowing were safe having her.

March 27, 2012 at 1:12 p.m.
  • Y'all would have FLIPPED OUT meeting my old half wolf/ half German Shepherd, Rex. He was the best dog I ever owned even up to this day. At the same time we owned Rex, we owned a (insert bad word of your choice) Lhasa Apso named Sunshine. When the neighbor found me with my bloodied face from an UNPROVOKED attack, they were trying to shoot Rex. Nope. It was that little (%^&) Sunshine.

Don't judge a dog by its breed. Judge it by its own character.

I miss Rex. He was HUGE!!

March 27, 2012 at 12:47 p.m.
  • Now hold on a minute. First off, I have to agree with oilhand11, it is all in how u raise them. My neighbor has a pit bull and he is the sweetest thing. he jumps the fence to get in our back yard with my kids all the time, he loves attention and to be played with, so you cant just go aroud saying all pit bulls should be banned, Second of all how are you going to ban all aggressive dogs in Victoria County? That would be all dogs in Victoria County including, POODLES, BEAGLES, ETC. All dogs have an aggresive side they may not show it but they do. When im walking my dogs and I have 2 German Shepards, people ask me when they come by " DO YOUR DOGS BITE?".... My answer to them is"YES ALL DOGS BITE". Im not lying to them. Dogs are mans best freinds, reguardless of their breed. Their job is to protect them selves and their owners. Are u going to ban police K-9 too? Cuz they are trained to attack on command. You people need to stop and think really hard what your trying to fight here. reaguardless of their breed all dogs will attack at somepoint in their life time and 9 out of 10 times it will be for you damn protection otherwise your dog isnt doing their job.

March 27, 2012 at 12:43 p.m.
  • All dogs can bite, but few dogs can accomplish the damage that the fighting dog breed/type, the pit bulls, can quickly do,

It is never the dog's fault, as dogs do not have morals and do not understand human laws. Dogs control no aspect of their lives:
    -not their breeding/heritage (what was the breed created to do; is it big enough to do damage?)
    -not their management (how did the dog reach the victims?)
    -not their sexual status (most dogs that attack are not spayed/neutered)

Pit breeders, owners and pit bull promoters show every day that their 1)fail to care and/or 2) fail to understand their dogs' escaping, mauling and killing abilities and instincts.

Since dogs cannot solve the problem and pit bull people don't care or won't, it becomes Society's job to reduce these attacks, attacks that WE ALL KNOW WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Ban the breeding of pits; require spay/neuter. Let them gradually become extinct.

March 27, 2012 at 12:41 p.m.
  • These folks: Carter Delaney, Carmen Ramos, Roberto Aguilera, Kelly Chapman, Brandon Coleman, Lorinze Reddings, Raymond Tomco, Darla Napora, Joseph Hines, Kelly chapman, Christine Staab, Ethel Horton, Chester Jordan, Jennie Erquiaga, Tonia Parks, Gerald Adelmund, Blanche Bodeur, Mabel McAllister, Pamela Rushing, Edward Mitchell, Linda Leal, Michael Winters, Mattie Daugherty, Justin Lane, John Reynolds, Johnny Wilson, Mary Diana Bernal, Tina Marie Canterbury (chilling 911 recording on youtube) all were killed by their/their family‚Äôs pit bulls.

If pit bulls can be overcome by instinct and kill adult family members, we should not be surprised when they maul or kill neighbor pets or people. Every pit websites states that dog aggression is a common breed trait. For that reason alone, let pits become extinct.

March 27, 2012 at 12:28 p.m.
  • Watch some youtube videos (rope, pit bull) and see how the pit bull types love to tug and tug and not stop, hanging from their clenched jaws from a knotted rope all 4 paws off the ground for hours.. Beagles were bred to sniff and bark. Ok, a few don't, but most instinctively do. Many of the herding dogs will chase and if no sheep are available, they will herd and bite kids. But the herding dogs will bite and immediately release their jaws in most cases as they were created to move the sheep, not shred the sheep. The opposite is true for the gamedogs/fighting dogs. I suspect that the pit types are not angry while mauling, just a beagle isn't angry while on the rabbit's trail. I wonder if pits actually know that they are killing, which accounts for the fact that some pits continue tugging long after the victim is motionless or dead. With hundreds of dog breeds/types from which to choose, pits remain the dog of choice for dog fighters. They are the best breed/type for attacking off-property for no reason, attacking without first warning or trying to drive the intruder away with barking and threatening behavior, not stopping even if the victim is down or submits, not stopping even when severely injured. While these traits made for an excellent fighting dog, they can make a horrible neighbor. Unless you hope that dog fighting will again be legal, no lawabiding, caring compassionate person needs these abilities and instincts to maul. Every educational pit website states that dog aggression is common in pit bulls. For that reason alone, let them become gradually extinct thru free, mandatory, enforced, spay/neuter/microchipping (FMESNM) of all pits/pit types/all dog aggressive dogs. No responsible owner is punished, as her dogs are spays/neuters. If a boxer mix is misidentified, no problem, she gets a free spay.Since pit promoters say that pits "are just dogs, just like all other dogs," let pit types gradually become extinct. Immediately attacks will be reduced, as essentailly all attacks are commited by intact dogs. Pits in pounds will have less competition, as there will be no puppies to compete with. Adopt any dog an manage it to be your loving companion. To those who say that they want to own only pit bulls, stop being a breedist-racist! Adopt and save any dog. Breeders: do not let your pups become fighters: spay/neuter before sale. Know who is buying your pups and for what purpose so your breed isn't selectively bred for increasing reactivity and aggression. If you fai and your breed becomes the "next pit bull" over the decades, add that breed to the FMESNM Law.

March 27, 2012 at 12:21 p.m.
  • justobserving, that is a prime example of how the owners are at fault not the dog breed. we have raised rotti's my whole life and yes they can be aggresive but its all in the way the animal is raised. if you just dont care about them they dont care. if you train them and care for them then guess what you dont have any problems. and you said the owner just watched it happen then go after the owner not the breed of dog. as a nurse im sure you have seen alot of things happen but can you blame the objects that caused the injury or the person that was behind the object or using it incorrectly that is to blame??? same principle!!

March 27, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.
  • I'm curious to know whether any of the recent pitbull bites were linked to owner neglect or were these dogs strays?

March 27, 2012 at 10:35 a.m.
  • Let's start with a "vicious dog" ordinace.

March 27, 2012 at 10:29 a.m.
  • Y isn't that when someone defends the breed the comments gets deleted. But as doin as u talk down on it they leave it posted. If ur gonna b letting ppl put the breed down u should also let them defend it and let everyone read that comment to.

March 27, 2012 at 9:50 a.m.
  • My puppy and I were attacked in my own yard by my neighbors pit bull-rotti mix. His owner just stood there and watched. Now my dog will not leave the back yard and I can't return to the job I love because of the permanent injury I have. Any and all aggressive breeds (especially when one person owns multiple) need to be removed from OUR county. Pull your heads out of...the sand all ready, these animals are bought and sold to be used as aggressive animals.

March 27, 2012 at 9:26 a.m.
  • agreed boy wonder, a pit bull is like a human that has bi-polar.

March 27, 2012 at 12:22 a.m.
  • Funny how so many local people have been quick to defend the pit bulls, saying "It's not the dog, pit bulls can be friendly!" However, you never hear about a vicious mauling by a poodle, beagle, or Labrador.

Owning a pit bull is like having a rattlesnake as a pet. You might be able to often handle it without incident, but the one time you do get bit you are in really big trouble!

March 27, 2012 at 12:14 a.m.
  • its time to ban all attack dogs in victoria county .

March 26, 2012 at 7:42 p.m.

March 26, 2012 at 7:22 p.m.