Comments

• Oh Edith,
    No one attacked you. Your nosebleed is no due to a punch, but rather the extreme altitude you keep your nose at.

Good job VISD and EMS. A handful of thoughtful commenters and a LOT of whiners who just love to B**** about any and everything they can find an excuse to do so.

March 28, 2012 at 8:04 p.m.
  • Thanks for the props ;)

March 28, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.
  • maybe the student was more a danger to herself and the school took the extra precaution ?

maybe the reaction was so severe the school wanted to protect her identity until the family was properly notified ?

maybe the school didn't want facebook flooded with pics of a student being taken away on a stretcher ?

March 28, 2012 at 12:07 p.m.
  • I'm amazed that this generated so much comment!! I'm not part of the posting "in crowd", but couldn't help but say kudos to blue_lake for his/her comment!!

Let's leave the judgement on whether a lockdown is needed to the people who are responsible for our children. Dealing with high school students in a situation like this is much different than dealing with elementary or junior high. A lockdown may well be the best approach at a high school.

Bottomline, it sounds like the situation was handled professionally. The young lady got prompt competant treatment, it was over in 4 minutes. Nuf said!!

March 28, 2012 at 11:46 a.m.
  • Back to my point. Boyett's statement is NOT true.

Everything may have worked out just hunkydory, GREAT, good for Crick and West HS! I too hope that the child was taken care of, and all is well with the student in need. Nobody is questioning that.

You all are missing the point.

VISD spokespersons need to be informed, and they need to be truthful. Lockdowns are not typical when EMS responds to a VISD campus. Interview every administrator in VISD and 99% will tell you that NO they do not lockdown when EMS responds to their campus. It's not a practice that has ever been conducted, trained, or that is in any emergency response plan.

The school's are not typically placed on "lockdown" when EMS responds. But this is not about the lockdown, it's more than that, it's about VISD trying to throw a spin job on an over reaction. The West HS administration has now completely over reacted on 2 incidents just this year alone. Both of which have gone public and been scrutinized heavily.

It seems to me that West administration panics in the face of danger, crisis, or perceived crisis. As a parent that concerns me. Over reaction sometimes is just as bad as doing nothing. It sends off bells and whistles that administrators are not in control and dont have a firm grasp on the intentions of "lock down" procedures. Locking down just for the sake of locking down is not what a real "lockdown" is intended for. You have to be real careful when locking a school down. You want a "lockdown" to be a very rare event, so when it indeed is truly necessary, the students, staff, and visitors take the event with extreme attention and seriousnesss. It seems that the way things have been done out there at West this year, lockdowns are the norm and unfortunately may not be taken with the same level of seriousness in the future. Concerning.

March 28, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.
  • VISD puts up a front that they have this kind of control. Take in point the shooting rumor, all of a sudden cell phones are being used to call parents to pick them up. VISD puts on their game face that they have it under control. I would put money down that a majority of the students in this case knew what was going on before any of the staff did.

March 28, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.
  • yeojj,
    Some people would cry if VISD handed out all the free gold anyone could carry away.

Since West HS seems to functioning just fine today, I have to believe yesterdays activites were hugely succesful... Despite all the compaints from the folks that had absolutely nothing to do with anything at the school.

Monday morning quarterbacking is a fantastic profession.

March 28, 2012 at 10:07 a.m.
  • Who cares what they call it as long as the girl gets the proper care! I agree this was perfectly fine. Don't really see what all the fuss is about. I just feel sorry for the girl in need that this has drawn so much unnecessary attention.

March 28, 2012 at 9:51 a.m.
  • From what I hear about these kids here in Victoria..........THEY DON'T LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY ARE DISRESPECTFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So you DO have to LOCKDOWN the school so they will not distract the EMTs or paramedics from doing their job. A kid's life was in their hands, so the school did what they needed to for that child. I can see the students (not all of them) all just laughing and acting STUPID!!! I agree with blue_lake.

March 28, 2012 at 9:15 a.m.
  • "Lockdowns are typical when EMS arrives to a school", said Diane Boyett, VISD's communications director.

That's not true. That's absolutely not true. EMS respond to our campuses frequently, for a variety of reasons, and NO lockdowns do not occur. Who allows this Boyett lady to speak on behalf of the district? She is sorely misinformed.

Edith you are 100% correct. Ridiculous. Where was the School Resource Officver when all this was going on?

March 28, 2012 at 8:59 a.m.
  • Blue_lake - Thank you very much for your very astute comments. Coming from someone of your age, who is much closer to the actuality of life in VISD, they are very pertinent. While my first reaction upon hearing the news (third hand, I might add - having the student in an ENTIRELY different situation!) was that the lock-down was all too much drama, the obvious facts (an allergic reaction, not, well just not an allergic reaction, and let's leave it at that) make me re-evaluate my response. A four-minute lockdown does not seem all that over-the-top in the situation; it gives the EMS time to get in, assess the situation, and remove the student if necessary.

I am not a fan of VISD (wish I knew how to change my ID), but I have to say that I think they did what they should this time. When I was in school 30 years ago, it was not called "lock-down" we would have just been told via the intercom that we were to all stay in our classrooms because of a medical emergency and then told when it was over. The words "lock-down" may be overused, but the effect is the same.

I am hopeful the student is doing well and back in school today with no ill-effects from the allergic reaction.

As an aside to this...how necessary was it to notify the Advocate, or for the Advocate to print it? It was an allergic reaction, not a shooting, or large drug bust, or a weapons find on campus. Somehow, an allergic reaction of a student does not seem to warrant all this discord. Next thing we will be hearing about is that someone wore a green ribbon in her hair to school. I am not trivializing the student's medical crisis; this paragraph is not directed at her but at the story in general. I know...it's because of the words "lock-down."

March 28, 2012 at 8:17 a.m.
  • EdithAnn is wrong. This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

March 28, 2012 at 8:03 a.m.
  • Ya'll are all ridiculous. Being as I graduated last year, I would know first hand that when EMS comes to the school and something major like that happens, all high school students do not handle the situation maturely and might have made it harder for the EMS to do their work and maybe even make the poor student stress out more with her allergic reaction. It went on lockdown for four minutes. Some of ya'll act like it was the whole day. If that happened to me I would want the same kind of privacy they gave that young student. Good Job VISD!

March 28, 2012 at 7:39 a.m.
  • I was at a gathering of 1500 people in a hotel ballroom and a man had a massive heart attack. We did not know what had happened until after the fact. We were asked to stay seated so that the ems could respond quickly without 1500 people in the way. In a sense, we were on a lockdown. We were mostly adults. Can you imagine if 1500 teens were walking the halls during an ems response? Emergency response is measured in minutes and seconds. I have to agree with VISD on this one.

March 27, 2012 at 11:30 p.m.
  • Yeah I like West, that's no secret. I am unfortunately clueless about details. Like I said before... Just reading this short little article makes the activities seem silly. There are many kids at these schools. Apparently "all" of them are a concern to the Administration there. That can only be a good thing, right.

I am hoping one of those in the know will get on here and enlighten me.

March 27, 2012 at 9:13 p.m.
  • Yes, JasonBourne--you would give anyone at West the benefit of the doubt. Maybe by now you know the whole story. Please share!

Did some of you even read the story? Stick the sick kid in the nurse's office, send the looky-lous back to class AND CLOSE THE DOOR TO THE CLASSROOM and get on with the business of teaching! What about a sick kid, or even an ambulance requires a LOCK DOWN for the privacy of the sick kid?

Good grief!

March 27, 2012 at 9 p.m.
  • Well because I've always been a "The glass is half full" type of person, I'm going to give the school the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

I wasn't there and I am sure there is much more that we just do not know about. The people at this school are professionals and the safety of "all" the students is paramount. I'm very happy with their decision making.

I sincerely hope that no one feels threatened by this post.

March 27, 2012 at 8:38 p.m.
  • EDITH
    This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life!
    And I agree. Clear case of the school not able to control students so lets go to lock down. Do this enough time and nobody will take you serious.

March 27, 2012 at 7:58 p.m.
  • Sorry, I'm laughing to hard to reply.

March 27, 2012 at 6:55 p.m.
  • Attack??? Stupidest thing you ever heard of in your life? Really?

March 27, 2012 at 6:14 p.m.
  • Contrary to a couple of posters who seem to disagree with me and therefore wish to attack, I'll say it again:

A lockdown? Seriously?

Y'all's turn--

March 27, 2012 at 6:11 p.m.
  • C'mon SpeakThe Truth, no one on this website writes before having all the information. Especially Edith. LOL!

It does sound silly but I'm betting there is more to the story. Much like the mystery retirement of Finley.

March 27, 2012 at 5:39 p.m.
  • Oh Edith Ann. Were you there? Do you know all of the circumstances? It is hard for me to imagine that a school would go into a lockdown situation if it wasn't necessary. Were the police on the scene? Maybe they gave an order for the school to go into a lockdown? Stupid? Maybe the situation was thought to be dangerous, but turned out to be something else entirely. We may never know.

March 27, 2012 at 5:33 p.m.
  • This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life! Just tell the kids to get back to class!

A lockdown? Seriously?

March 27, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.