Comments

• Have any of you looked at the contract between the City and VPIA? It is a mathematic marvel! This non-profit charges a membership fee. Then they get to add this and subtract that and if the balance is a positive one, GREAT! If it is a negative balance, that is still GREAT!

I would really like to know how much revenue this place generates and how much the expenses are. Granted this is one of the smaller amounts the city has ponied up for some entity, but as I recall from the City Council meeting, this money is coming out of the general revenue fund, not the tourism dollars. The out of town players are not sufficient for the club to meet the tourism criteria.

I don't know. I need to see some real figures here. I need a better explanation as to why the club needs help.

March 30, 2012 at 9:26 p.m.
  • I have zero issues with the city partnering with the Riverside board on this project. That course is the heart of the park. It's money well spent by the city and Riverside GC users. Compared to what the city spent on the pump house parking lot this is a much better bargain !

Having just played there this past month I can say that course is in great shape. Play one round and it's evident that it's a well maintained facility. Victoria is very lucky to have a group of dedicated board members running that course.

Unfortunately I only get to play Riverside about once a month but this project has me very excited about the future of that course. As a 'out of town' player, usually bringing a couple of business hackers, I've had nothing but good experiences with the clubhouse and course people. Not many public course you can pull up and be on the first tee in 10 minutes.

As for weekend tee times I believe you can call Weds morning for a weekend morning tee time.

March 30, 2012 at 8:14 p.m.
  • Every place I have been has it's own little issues. If you dislike Riverside, don't go. I happen to like it a lot. I'm a regular.
    When I go out of town, I'm not a regular and I am treated as such. I don't expect anyone to fawn all over me as if I were at a country club.

I watch what happens when I'm down there. I recognize that the service, while not exemplory is as good as I've seen at out of town munies.

Could Riverside do a little better, probably. I'm not going to crucify them because of one letter to the editor in the past 5 years.

March 30, 2012 at 7:56 p.m.

March 30, 2012 at 7:20 p.m.
  • I have been to private and public courses all over Texas and some outside. I have been treated like crap at some I would have thought would be wonderful. It doesn't take a lot to make me happy, especially on the golf course.

At most private clubs the treatment is obviously better. At most public, worse and regulars are clearly treated a little better than out of towners or non-members. Worst treatment ever at any golf course was right here in Victoria. It wasn't at Riverside either and we know the quality of service at VCC is always first class.

I do think Riverside should have to fund itself. But I believe the other groups in town that go racing in for their annual handout should too.

March 30, 2012 at 5:36 p.m.
  • I thought the whole reason the city leases the park to the Riverside Golf Association for $1 was to keep things like this from happening.

Dues and green fees are the source of income for day to day operations and money should be set aside from them for these types of expenses and repairs.

Maybe the city needs to take a look at the way things are run. The green fees are the lowest anywhere and if taxpayers have to foot this bill maybe it's time to increase green fees. Users should be footing the bill.

Maybe a structure similar to Phoenix and other cities where out of town visitors pay a little more for a round of golf.

In my opinion $20 per round would still be a bargain at Riverside.

While on this topic, the staff there continues to be some of the most unfriendly I have encountered anywhere and annual membership holders still have a hold on most of the early morning tee times despite changes a few years back that were supposed to even things out for non-members.

Riverside is not a private course but you wouldn't know it the way they treat those who don't have annual memberships.

March 30, 2012 at 4:34 p.m.