Comments

• I remember back in 1961 when John F. Kennedy was running for president, there was a great fear of him being Catholic. It was believed that he would hold allegiance to Rome verses the US. Didn't happen. Romney being Mormon would not be an issue either. It is his views on the constitution and the republic for which he should stand that is most important.

May 5, 2012 at 8:17 p.m.
  • J..."Do you want me to go on?"

You can do whatever your heart desires. Not only did I not know that Mormons don't allow blacks to serve in the church, since I'm neither Mormon OR black, I really don't care. It's THEIR church; they can run it as they wish. YOU said you loved how in some people's minds, Mormons are good and muslims are evil. I was simply offering examples. Nothing more. Nothing intended as code.

May 5, 2012 at 7:50 p.m.
  • Waywardwind.

I know history of the world, thank you very much. This isn’t about history of Muslims or Mormons; this is about YOU and your attempt to put one group of people over another based on your fear and hatred. By the way, it is true Mormons refuse to allow Blacks to “serve” in their churches. Opps, is that too soon? Should that mean I should place one group over Mormons? If I have done so, then I would be wrong. You should rethink your mindset before making excuses for your distrust, dislike of one group.

Do you want me to go on?

Mr. J. Williams

May 5, 2012 at 7:39 p.m.
  • Well, J, Mormons don't treat women like chattel. Mormons don't sexually mutilate their daughters. If the daughter of a Mormon family is raped, her parents don't commit an "honor killing" to cleanse the family name. Mormons don't declare holy war against people who don't believe as they do. Mormons don't threaten the world's oil supply. Mormons aren't trying to develope nuclear weapons with which to wipe another religion off the face of the planet. Mormons never hi-jacked airliners and flew them into buildings killing thousands. Mormons don't dress up in C-4 vests and attack innocent civilians. Mormons don't plant bombs on the side of roads.

There are probably more, but this is good for a start.

May 5, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.
  • I love it how in someone's mind that Mormons are good and Muslims are evil. I won't go more into it, but let it stand.

May 5, 2012 at 3:54 p.m.
  • It is remarkable that in the nearly 400 years since the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock to escape religious persecution and bigotry we see it alive and well in this thread.

We should try to remember that our religious beliefs are core to our sense of individual self worth and growth as a society. When we disrespect any other religious philosophy we diminish our own.

May 5, 2012 at 11:43 a.m.
  • Will...When did they get to be socialists? I thought that was the PRESENT administration. Mormons are very conservative, family oriented people who don't use tobacco, alcohol or (usually) caffine. The ones I have known believe in Jesus Christ and believe that God answers prayer. They believe strongly that people should take care of themselves -- note the storing of food against hard times but are always ready to lend a helping hand. I have never known a Mormon who would not help a neighbor in need even if the neighbor was of another faith (or no faith).

I'm not a member of any church, but I think I would be very comfortable in the Morman religion now that I'm married. When I as single, I would have had a problem with their strict no-sex-outside-marriage thing. I would probably have had a problem with their anti-birth control thing, too. I don't have a problem with a Mormon either as a neighbor or president. Romney wasn't my first choice as a candidate, but I knew in my heart that Ron Paul didn't stand a showball's chance of getting the nomination.

What's wrong with the guns and bible connection? The bible allows for self defense and a gun is the best way to do that. The Mormons I've knows were almost universally hunters, using the meat from the deer and elk they shot to fill their freezers. They believed in gun control as I do: without gun control, you can't hit what you're shooting at.

May 5, 2012 at 10:43 a.m.
  • Mormons are perfectly nice folks. But they are not Christian. Their 'Bible' is the Book of Mormon. Very different than Christians. They baptize folks after death, a whole slew of stuff that is not supported in Christian faith.

But as to 'you can only be right, or be nice, or be moral if you are a Christian'--baloney! Much evil is perpetrated in the name of the Lord. Iknown athiests who have had a stronger moral conviction than many Christians I know.

May 5, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.
  • Take a theology class and learn their beliefs. They are socialist. Nothing wrong with that I guess but his faith is a dichotomy of the Republican, at least the (guns and Bibles) chosen paths.

May 5, 2012 at 10:10 a.m.
  • will..."I didn't know Jesus lost the US? What a horrible thing to say. We are getting ready to give the country to the mormons anyway and then Jesus wont want it anymore....."

WOW! Speaking of horrible things to say. I have known a lot more Mormons than I have muslims. They've always been quite wonderful people. I'm guessin' you aren't fond of Mormons and their faith. Would you mind explaining, please.

May 5, 2012 at 9:58 a.m.
  • God's not going anywhere, and the Christian majority isn't "silent", they're quite vocal... they just have no legal standing for most of their demands. The only thing that has been "running God out of the country" is that they're not letting religion encroach on the state (and removing instances where it does). I would honestly like to know what it is that Christians want out of the country. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm seriously curious. What would make you happy as a Christian living in America?

May 5, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.
  • God Bless the United States of Unconsciousness

May 4, 2012 at 4:46 p.m.
  • "I think as many people that can get together as possible in the name of Jesus Christ, the better chance we have of returning this country to Jesus Christ."

May 4, 2012 at 1:25 p.m.
  • This seems to be a wonderful chance to bring all our citizens into the discussion to express respect for all beliefs. Were all religions encouraged to attend? Once people of diverse faith open lines of communication the underling bigotry starts to melt away. Open arms build trust, closed fists prolong distrust.

May 4, 2012 at 10:57 a.m.
  • You should of went with your nice photos pmtasin.

May 4, 2012 at 10:23 a.m.
  • I happen to think the photographers do a great job. I've noticed a real improvement in sports photos in the last couple of years.

May 4, 2012 at 8:33 a.m.
  • The Advocate has to have the worst photographers in the nation. I was not there but I bet there were plenty of more photogenic pictures to take. This seems to be the case at every kind of religious event.

May 4, 2012 at 7:28 a.m.
  • After God had been run out of most aspects of our lives by the vocal minority, I pray that God still hears our prayers. Its high time for the silent majority to speak up and defend our God before those that would seek to deny, as we need his help more now than ever before. I pray that God has mercy on us sinners and shows the way through this mine field that lays before us.

May 4, 2012 at 12:55 a.m.