Comments

• Ok well first of all vicAD neither of these guys hold a "class A barber" license they hold a Cosmo lic. Thus should not be called barbers! If TDLR were to walk in to their shop and see a straight razor a fine will be given, only a lic. Barber can use this tool, not a Cosmo. So I think they should not call them selves barbers bc they do not hold a barber lic. And about the whole raper mentioning them in their songs? I believe all the songs are not referring to their shop bc these songs were released way before these guys had a shop. I'm not posting this to down any one, only to correct both parties, I am a lic. Barber and don't believe some one should be given credit for something they are not!

May 9, 2012 at 11:12 p.m.
  • Great story
    Glad to see a place where guys can go and get a guys hair cut and also take there young son.
    This is a local paper so it should have local stories on the front page.
    News is like work: it will allways be there and it will allways be bad so put it on the back page when ever you can

May 5, 2012 at 8:07 p.m.
  • J...You asked a question. I tried to answer it. Now you say you stand firmly by a question? I don't think I ever heard of anyone standing by a question before. Once again, I'm confused.

May 5, 2012 at 6:41 p.m.
  • I agree fine article but in the wrong place. I like the emphasis on young people going to school and making something of themselves.
    High readership may have been due to difficulty in finding anything but VA at local stores but many are being back the Houston Chronicle now.

May 5, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.
  • Waywardwind.

Excuse me, but I can read. My point is that there is something more to this issue from the person in question, then just a simple criticism about the story or where it was placed in the paper. Like it or not, I stand firmly by what I said!!!

Mr. J. Williams

May 5, 2012 at 6:11 p.m.
  • Victoria Advocate Staff,

To be clear. The piece was pure fluff and not worth nearly 2 full pages of print. This style of journalism is nothing more than "manufactured" news. The readers deserve better than a newsletter when we pay for a newspaper.

May 5, 2012 at 5:39 p.m.
  • it's a story about a barber shop, get a grip some of you

May 5, 2012 at 5:27 p.m.
  • To all who are complaining about the complainers. We are not complaining that the article was written. Rather the objection is the location of the story. This is PRECISELY the kind of story that should be on page one OF THE CROSSROADS SECTION.

Wpwentzell..."Victoria culture, believe it or not, is heavily influenced by the Houston hip-hop culture..."

Lucky Victoria. I wondered why I was feeling all better. Now, I know.

J...the story about the barber shop doesn't promote thug culture. The culture is promoted by the customers of the shop. See the above comment from wpwentzell.

May 5, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.
  • Sugar,
    You are free to have your opinion, of course, and we have heard you loud and clear many times before. We respectfully will say again that we don't expect all of our stories to appeal to every reader. That's why we had two other traditional hard news stories on this very front page. We aim for a variety of local coverage.
    In terms of quality, every reader is the ultimate judge, but our readership remains among the highest in the country for any newspaper. We reach almost 9 out of 10 adults in Victoria County and almost 7 out of 10 in our nine-county region. In terms of journalistic excellence, our newsroom has collected many state and national awards in recent years.
    If you see this fine feature on two creative businessmen as evidence of our decline, then we will have to agree to disagree.

May 5, 2012 at 5:10 p.m.
  • Wpwellzell.

Thank you for saying that. I am still puzzled over her 'thug' comment. I want to now where are the thugs here? Men getting their hair cut are thugs? Or is it the men who are doing the cutting? Can someone help me with that comment?

Mr. J. Williams

May 5, 2012 at 5:08 p.m.
  • It just seems to me that the Victoria Advocate has had a tendency of late (say, within the past couple of years) to embrace the sensationalistic and most lurid stories possible, and if they must write about such matter, place them inappropriately on the front page. I understand the VicAd is a business and that the VicAd's main goal is to sell papers and make money. I am not against this. I am chagrined at the decrease of the quality of the newspaper that I once admired and believe this is direct result of the VicAd catering to society's lowest common denominator time after time. I get the feeling that the VicAd fishes constantly for positive comments, attaboys, and affirmation that they are doing a good job, and are very intolerant of any type of criticism or questions. I am a paying, subscribing customer and I have a voice. That voice may not always be in agreement with what the VicAd does, but my dissension comes from a place of wanting to see better quality in our local paper; I know this paper can be better because I remember the time when it was a superior product in comparison to what it is now. In these hard economic times that have seen so many publications fold, my wish is not only for the VicAd to survive, but to thrive. If you haven't noticed, subscribers are leaving left and right lately. Numbers are down. What does the VicAd plan to do about this? My first logical guess would be that they need to improve their reporting, the main reason for a newpaper's being.

Thank you for an opportunity to have a civil, frank discussion about this matter, wpwentzell. In a nutshell, my answer is "YES!"

May 5, 2012 at 5:01 p.m.
  • wpwetnzell - thank you for asking me a very fair question.

The answer is, yes, absolutely I would. My argument for so long has not been only about content of articles, but in proper placement of those articles. If you want to spotlight a local business, I can get on board with that, although the (several) posters here that point out this is little more than a thinly disguised paid advertisement have an absolutely valid point.

What is the bigger disappointment to me here, though, is that this appears on the front page of the print edition of the the Advocate as well as the main story on the web page. There is real news happening in this world, and 99 times out of 100 (and that is NO exaggeration), I have to flip to the back page or two of the VicAd to find it if it is in there at all. Front pages should be reserved for REAL NEWS. I have said this until I am blue in the face, and I know from experience that this makes absolutely no difference to the staff at the VicAd. I am tired of wasting my time trying to get this point across. I understand the VicAd strives to be a local paper, and there is nothing wrong with articles concerning local events. But an article of this nature belongs in the business or entertainment sections, be it written about fade haircuts, long-haired hippies or the latest punk music scene.

No, I don't care for the content of the article. It mentions the name of several "music artists" who openly embrace the thug lifestyle, and I believe it is honest to say that so many who embrace this style (not EVERYONE) will not be among society's hard-working, contributing members. That is not to stereotype anyone, but it is the hard honest truth. If anyone sporting this type of style came into my place of work to apply for a job, it would be a no-go. It is not professional nor acceptable in many places of work. That is my real-life take on fads such as this. I will have to divide this into two parts here.

May 5, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.
  • @SugarMagnolia - would you be singing the same tune if they did an article on the hippie lifestyle? I'm a Dead fan, too, but I respect the influence of local music on local culture. And this is a local paper, right?

@Salina_L - wonderful sentiment, glad to see a positive response to this feature!

May 5, 2012 at 4:12 p.m.
  • Very cool hair cut design, it is a step up from other hair cuts. Not my style of cut but they wear it well and works great for darker color hair. Sometimes you need to support your local business, at least if you go there often they will get to know you vs a big chain you can go there and spends hundreds every week and never know you. Best of luck!

May 5, 2012 at 4:10 p.m.
  • Wonderful feature article! Finally, a happy story on the front page that doesn't involve a scandal or death. Also, Frank Tilley really does some wonderful work with the camera for this one! Glad to see the Advocate really spotlighting local businesses, and local culture.

I think this story does well to spotlight Texas culture, regardless of whether or not the readership (aka all the dissenters who have commented here) agrees. Victoria culture, believe it or not, is heavily influenced by the Houston hip-hop culture, and I think this kind of story does well to integrate the community and expand readership of your paper. A graduate of the University of Texas School of Journalism in 2007, I can say that this is obviously not a hard news piece, and so what if it isn't? Great feature, would love to see more! (I love to see any story where Frank Tilley really gets there with the camera, and not just slopping Photoshop on less-than-stellar portraits).

May 5, 2012 at 4:04 p.m.
  • Since when a story about a barber shop promotes a thug lifestyle? Can someone tell me? What is truly thuggish is when a person takes ......nevermind, I won't go there today. Oh no, not today.

Gheni and Vicad should know we have an election this month. Where is the indepth information and analiyst?

May 5, 2012 at 3:09 p.m.
  • Thanks for spotlighting a local small business.

May 5, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.
  • Two full pages of informative detail regarding haircuts. Tomorrow the Victoria Advocate will have a riveting article on paint drying. Victoria county and the surrounding counties has an approximate population of 250,000 and we get front page article about hair.

This could explain the reason the USA Today sales is growing so rapidly.

May 5, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.
  • Sugar...Be fair. It hasn't been but a little over a week since the Advocate had front page headlines of REAL news TWO DAYS IN A ROW. Of course, it took a murder to make it happen, but VicAd really did put actual news on the front page. Yeah, it surprised me, too.

JLordTree is right, It reads like a paid ad and it's top of the front page news. Does the Advocate charge extra for positioning like that?

May 5, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.
  • Are you people that unhappy in your own lives that you cant say anything positive about how these young men have made a difference in their lives in a positive way! Congrats to them for making front page news, this could have changed lives this morning and you make it into a negative thing.

Roy and Mr. Medina I am very proud of yall. keep God first and give thakns everyday. Keep up the great work!

May 5, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Why is this the primary story on the front page?!? Business page maybe, and I mean maybe, but front page?!? Seriously?!? It read like a paid environment. Lets get this straight, benefits, city events get dropped to middle of random section. Fade haircuts, FRONT PAGE!

May 5, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.
  • Wow, this is what has become front page news in the Saturday paper? This is ridiculous. At least I learned what a Boosie Fade. That may be important one day.

May 5, 2012 at 9:54 a.m.
  • The hair designs make me think 'tattoos that grow out'. I think they are very interesting. But I also think tattoos are very interesting.

May 5, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.
  • Tell ya what, VicAd, just get back to me when you decide to stop doing ridiculous articles about the thug lifestyle. No hurry, I won't hold my breath.

All the important news in the world each and every day and this is what you give your readers.

Not worth the ink nor the bandwidth.

May 5, 2012 at 8:26 a.m.
  • I don't "get" the design in the hair fad, it isn't something that would have interested me at any age but kudos to Mr. Dehoyes and Mr. Medina for being able to give their customers what the customer wants.

Customer service; something that's slowly going out of style but style and customer service are alive and well at Texas Made Fades barbershop.

May 5, 2012 at 8:08 a.m.