Comments

• SugarMagnolia, I am glad we agree on having hope. I cannot predict the future but I am making what I consider is an educated decision about the colleges plan. Of course I am only one voter, and the proposal was passed by 66% of those who voted. As far as Victoria College not being the best steward of taxpayer monies of late, I have seen no evidence of this, I suppose I could be wrong. I do not have time to attend their board meetings, maybe you do? I base my decision on their board members, and administration, I do know some of these folks personally and I trust them. And I believe they have the community‚Äôs best interest at heart. I have no information about any future bond proposals.

Just my opinion. :^)

Thanks,
    Paul Polasek

May 13, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.
  • Mr. Polasek: "I do hope the additional taxes we pay will be offset by growth in the tax base." You HOPE? I do as well, sir. As you say, time will tell.

I don't live in Victoria county and do not pay Victoria County taxes; I certainly don't have a dog in this hunt. Except that I surmise this will somehow trickle down to other county residents eventually by higher tuition and fees for students because Victoria College hasn't been the best steward of the taxpayers' monies of late. You can bet your sweet bippy this $20 million is just a beginning drop in the bucket. Of course, a year or two from now, it still won't be enough, so there goes another bond proposal and another hike in tuition and fees. A few mil here, another mil or two there, it all adds up to a greater burden on the Crossroads residents' backs than they have ever been asked to bear.

The thing is, if UH-V had asked for the same thing, there would have been cries of not only "no" but "HELL NO" heard loud and far. Why is that?

May 13, 2012 at 3:59 p.m.
  • I supported this bond issue, I feel it will be a good investment in our local educational system. I do believe it will aid in attracting other industrial/commercial businesses to Victoria. The training center along with the investment caterpillar has made it will certainly get the attention of site consultants who assist companies with location choices. I do hope the additional taxes we pay will be offset by growth in the tax base. We will have to be patient to see the results.

Paul Polasek

May 13, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.
  • Roberttx.... Just out of curiosity, why is someone stupid if they voted contrary to the way you would have prefered them to vote?

May 13, 2012 at 1:46 p.m.
  • Oh, my achin' wallet!

May 13, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.
  • So I guess all the employers of people living in Victoria County will give raises equal to the employee's increase in taxes, right? After all, it is the businesses that will gain so much from the new tech center. Yeah right...Sounds like the Cat plant should have paid to build the center. Isn't that is why they are building it next door?

May 13, 2012 at 12:33 p.m.
  • the voter stupidity in this town is mind numbing

May 13, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.
  • With each election of this type, it will become more and more likely that higher taxes will pass, strictly due to vested interest and voter apathy. There were 3300 people who voted in favor of this increase in taxes. It is almost guaranteed that every employee of Victoria College and their family members voted in favor to protect and further enhance their job. The more this governmental institution and other governmental agencies increase in size the larger that voting block becomes. As the Editorial Board says, 'it is momentum'.

The election is over. The voters have spoken. The only thing to do now is get out your check book and start writing for the next 20 years.

It would be considerate if the people at Victoria College at least put up a pretense of being responsible when they are spending this money.

May 13, 2012 at 10 a.m.
  • You gave VC 22M to build a facility that they are going to charge people a lot of money to use. And we pay for it in a big tax hike while they keep the profit? Not good.

May 13, 2012 at 9:10 a.m.