Antique car show returns to Victoria
By BY CAMILLE M. DOTY - CDOTY@VICAD.COM
May 16, 2012 at 12:16 a.m.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
• 1-5 p.m.: Registration in the Quality Inn Hotel lobby, 3112 Houston Highway, Victoria
• 1 p.m.: Hospitality room opens
• 6:30-10 p.m.: Welcome party at the pool area with snacks, soft drinks and beer. BYOB, If you prefer other libations
• 8 a.m.: Late registration
• 6:30-7:30 a.m.: Judges' meeting
• 7:30-10:30 a.m.: Car judging at Riverside Park
• 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Ladies event, mezzanine, guest speakers Sylvester & Diann Walleck, who will talk about carnival glass
• 11 a.m.: Driving tour to Gonzales
• 1-5 p.m.: Box lunch and Gonzales' place in Texas history, tour of town, shopping in downtown (time permitting), return to Victoria
• 5:30 p.m.: Victoria College Student Center, 2200 E. Red River St., dressing and rehearsal for style show
• 7:30 p.m.: Dinner, ballet, style show
• 8 a.m.: Driving tour to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
• 11:30 a.m.: Driving tour to Rockport/Fulton
• 1:30 p.m.: Lunch at "Big Fisherman"
• 5 p.m.: Arrive in Victoria
• 7:30 p.m.: Dinner, entertainment and awards presentations
• For more info: call BJ Cornstubble at 361-570-0090
The Golden Crescent Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America will host its 59th annual Texas Tour beginning Thursday.
Organizers anticipate serving 125 people for the free event.
AACA is the oldest and largest automotive historical society in the nation, dedicated to the preservation, restoration and maintenance of automobiles and automobile history, according to a news release.
"This is one of the years where Victoria is privileged to host," said BJ Cornstubble, tour manager.
It's been five years since Victoria hosted this event that will highlight pre-recorded history, the French explorers and modern day heritage.
The tour will include a host of activities, including a welcome party, car judging, a scenic trip to historic Gonzales, live entertainment and a back road trip through Austwell throughout the weekend and festivities.
Cornstubble said antique car collecting is in his blood. He encouraged others to enjoy the sights.
"People can look and appreciate the unique style of old cars," he said.