Comments

• Jason...I DID see a billboard in Houston many years ago that I thought was excellent. It was for a restaurant and said, "This Ain't Advertisin'. This is Directions. Take The Next Left and Turn Right Just Past the Railroad Track."

It containged the name of the restaurant and the chicken fried steaks were great. They were served on pizza platters. OH, YEAH!!

May 21, 2012 at 7:13 p.m.
  • So the wrong person is not getting the payoff for the billboards and the city gets a stiffy. This don't even make a good billboard. It Just don't make the good old boy standards.

May 21, 2012 at 4:08 p.m.
  • less eye sores around town por favor

May 20, 2012 at 11:48 p.m.
  • Thye should also require these billboards to be in well repair and up to date. I saw one around here still up from Christmas. They are all ugly but the old faded ones really look bad.

May 20, 2012 at 1:35 p.m.
  • I live in that area and can say the drivers do NOT need anymore distractions at the 5 way stop sign. They have a hard enough time making it without a giant flashing sign. Move it down the road. What an eyesore!

May 20, 2012 at 1:07 p.m.
  • I haven't. Well, now that I think about it, I have no idea whether I did or didn't... You know what with the inner workings of the brain maybe years ago detected something from a billboard and finally when I need something my brain kept screaming, "PICK THIS COMPANY".

My favorites are the insurance and realty companies that have giant pictures of the people. (please note sarcasm)

Currently I am trying to time my next injury or accident to whenever the hospitals emergency rooms are at a "0" wait time. LOL!

May 20, 2012 at 12:29 p.m.
  • It counts. I'm amazed, but it counts.

May 20, 2012 at 12:26 p.m.
  • “…is there ANYONE who can honestly say that they have been influenced to make a purchase because of a billboard?”

I made a trip to Rufugio to taste some of Braman’s wine after seeing their little billboard on John Stockbaur – and I bought a couple of bottles. Does that count?

May 20, 2012 at 12:11 p.m.
  • Oh, good. Just what Victoria needs: another electronic billboard. Regardless of what the marketing majors tell us about how many people pass by a billboard, is there ANYONE who can honestly say that they have been influenced to make a purchase because of a billboard? Those who smoke, did you decide on Winston over Salem because of a billboard? Does anyone drive a Chevy instead of a Toyota because he saw a billboard with a picture of a Malibu on it? Guys, did you buy your wife's wedding ring from a particular jeweler because of a billboard? How about furniture? Did you buy a recliner from this store rather than that store because you liked the billboard advertisment? Will you vote for Obama over Romney because you saw a billboard favoring Obama? Do you drink Bud rather than Coors because you saw a billboard alongside the road for two-and-a-half seconds?

I believe the entire billboard industry is based on the lie that just because someone happens to drive past a sign, he will be influenced to buy a certain product. Billboards are a far worse source of visual pollution than plastic bags alongside the highway and there are a lot of people who are working very hard to rid the country of plastic grocery bags.

May 20, 2012 at 10:42 a.m.
  • I say take it to the other end and all signs within city limits have to be at ground level. It will cost money for companies, but there is nothing uglier than a 80 foot faded sign. It does bring amazing results.

May 20, 2012 at 10:35 a.m.
  • Victoria doesn't need anymore distracting "stuff" - it all looks so ugly!

May 20, 2012 at 12:45 a.m.