Comments

May 31, 2012 at 12:37 a.m.

May 26, 2012 at 7:41 p.m.

May 26, 2012 at 4:14 p.m.
  • In the beginning and in the end, we are all one race...the Human Race.

May 26, 2012 at 2:41 p.m.

May 23, 2012 at 9:03 p.m.
  • Great Grandfather from Ireland, Great Grandmother from Spain, Grandmother born in Mexico as well as my Grandfather, I was born here, so that makes me an American. Period.
    GOP your a racist and a demagogue.

May 23, 2012 at 5:40 p.m.
  • Mike, Vet, I just love how you guys try to change the meaning of words... LOL!!

May 23, 2012 at 5:20 p.m.
  • I am a citizen and a veteran that's what you can call me or just use my name.

May 23, 2012 at 4:57 p.m.
  • American Klingon Tejano.

May 23, 2012 at 4:55 p.m.
  • I would like to change my race to "Klingon".

May 23, 2012 at 4:54 p.m.

May 23, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.
  • Mike,

As a retired member of management the diversity training served several proposes.

1. To teach respect in the work place. I know folks should have been hired with that ethic in mind but sometimes you need to be re-dipped in the river of common decency to be retrained.

2. To keep the company/owners/bosses out of court and others out the unemployment line.

3. Because it is the right thing to do and your Momma told you so!

May 23, 2012 at 4:20 p.m.
  • ive never in my life heard a south american refer to themselves as 'latin'

in fact south americans identify themselves from their country of origin. they would never look to be identified as a whole.

according to the classmates in my overly anglo visd elementary school I was a 'wetback'. guess they never heard of mexican, chicano, latin, hispanic ?

May 23, 2012 at 3:50 p.m.
  • vet43
    I hear you but I always thought diversity training was about keeping the company out of trouble for not maintaining a safe environment to work in... The knuckleheads were supposed to know how to treat women before they hired on.... That undefined line was erased and replaced with what a lot of people who generally cross that line, call political correctness... Boo hoo, they couldn't get away with what most would call harassment.

For example, I know where that line is among friends or acquaintances. Some can't turn it off.

Trolls are always throwing out the bait but if no one nibbles; they move on..:-)

May 23, 2012 at 3:45 p.m.
  • Mike,

I remember the good old days (1960's) and thanks to civil rights and LBJ it became a sport on the job (plant construction) to tell racial jokes until fists started to fly. The reason it is important to have diversity traing because some knuckleheads do not know where the line is or they always want to step over it to see how much touble they can cause.

This was why the internet was invented. So trolls could insult people and remain faceless.

May 23, 2012 at 3:12 p.m.
  • I always thought that a small difference between "latino" and "hispanic" was BRAZIL. Since Brazilians are from Latin America, they are considered latinos, but since they speak Portuguese and not Spanish, they should not be considered hispanic.

May 23, 2012 at 2:55 p.m.
  • My family has been in Texas since the 1600's/1700's (Spanish/Mexican) and I consider myself "Tejana" because they've lived in this area - original vaqueros (cowboys) and ranchers in this beautiful land - interesting - we don't consider ourselves as Hispanic or Latino - nope, not in Texas/Southwest - maybe Mexican-American and yes, we were considered "white" to integrate our schools in Texas years ago -

May 23, 2012 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Rebecca

Until about 1990, ethnic jokes were commonplace in our workplace. Then as we started diversifying even more, we were told by headquarters to cool it because it would not be tolerated anymore. It was especially hard on me because I was known as a " equal opportunity harasser; no nationality was safe from an ethnic joke." ..... It broke up the tension and we didn't feel like we had to walk on eggshells....But times have changed and it was probably for the better. We still had respect for each other and treated each other as fellow human beings..... It's where we came from and we should embrace that; it's what we are; we shouldn't run away from it...IMO.

May 23, 2012 at 1:35 p.m.
  • Call me a Christian - a child of God.

May 23, 2012 at 1:22 p.m.
  • definition of redneck are the hard working people who works outside in the sun like oilfield or farms ;)

May 23, 2012 at 1:14 p.m.
  • There you go. Split up to stay a minority. Good idea, because if not,
    " perdemos nuestro queso libre "

May 23, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.
  • I don't care about race. Many of us just feel like a mom or a sister or a daughter or a friend... I don't even notice race until someone talks about it all the time. One of my friends is very pro-Mexican and talks about how she is Mexican and makes Mexican jokes. That's her. I used to make Bohemian jokes. I would say things like, "My Bohemian China" referring to paper plates... Sometimes I call myself a "redneck chef." Is redneck a race? I guess it's more of an attitude. I mean "redneck" as in not real cultured or refined - probably someone who wouldn't know a Gauguin from a Duchamp. Kidding. =P

May 23, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.
  • And you are from ???... Lol

May 23, 2012 at 12:27 p.m.
  • Call yourself anything you wisht, but in much of Anglo Texas, you'll never be anything more than just another Mexican.

May 23, 2012 at 12:23 p.m.
  • Mike,

Go whole Hog or no Hog! Labels notwithstanding. Have a close friend that returned to Vietnam in 1990 and told me later (with tears in his eyes) he met some new friends that want to kill him in another time.

May 23, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.
  • Vet

Along that line,one day our company (way back in 1975) were going to finally hire more women,so we had to have classes to teach us how to behave in the workplace...An old timer,said "I'm confused,what do we call her,Ms,Mrs because I don't want to get in trouble." the lecturer calmly said" how about "Diane?" ..It's not the labels when properly used ;it's how they are applied.

May 23, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.
  • vet43
    Fellow human being is a start..Friend (A person you know well and regard with affection and trust) is going for all the gusto..:-)

May 23, 2012 at 12:08 p.m.
  • Labels are very important on a container but not so much on a person. Lets all try to agree to call each other "friend".

May 23, 2012 at 12:05 p.m.
  • What's worthy on the front page is for the newspaper to decide; I seriously doubt everyone will be satisfied.... I've seen human interest stories on the front page of the New York Times,Houston Chronicle and Washington Post. It's not that unusual.

Having said that, the placement of the article did not change my opinion one bit. The labels came from a government mandate and was meant to provide information but not to be divisive. I gathered that this article was about how that action affected some and how they coped with it.

I think learning about different cultures in a multicultural country can be beneficial but you have to be open minded and not think that everything is about YOU.... It's a one day news cycle

I would love read about the Czech, Bohemian,German, Italian and Irish or any other culture. Please, gather some information and submit it.

Good post ..holein1...Again,I might add..:-)

May 23, 2012 at 12:01 p.m.
  • That's true ... but if someone its gonna lable something or someone they should do it right.... Lol

May 23, 2012 at 11:56 a.m.
  • This is where I differ with the writer. The No Labelers believe that labels get in the way of problem solving. Taken at its plainest meaning, this argument is stupid. “Label” is another word for “words.” And without words, language, communication, sharing of complex ideas, we are back in the trees. I love people who say, “I don’t believe in labels,” as if labels are like the tooth fairy. Everything we do from civilization, decency, and progress depends on labels. If we cannot label something poisonous, people will die. If a criminal rejects the label “murderer,” that doesn’t make him any less of one. But if we accept that murder is just a meaningless label we go a long way toward being a party to murder. If you cannot understand why having a blanket policy against labels is such a terrible idea, I suggest you march into your kitchen and peel the wrappers off all of your cleaning supplies, and canned goods. Natural selection will take care of the rest in due time.

May 23, 2012 at 11:42 a.m.
  • reallyy ! if you look the history you should know that all the people in this country are inmigrants , we are a mix match of everybodie... i'm from puerto rico im a us citizen since i was born in puerto rico i speak spanish almost all the time but i'm not "white american" i'm hispanic or latino (why the lables?? ) i can say i'm white because y look like'it but if i say i'm hispanic or latino they asume i'm from south america... lol reallyy the real people that are from this lands are the native americans .....

May 23, 2012 at 11:35 a.m.
  • I have to agree with chupakabra. If this is news worthy of front page coverage, then all the government forms need to be updated immediately so that I can choose to be counted as Irish, Scottish, German, American Indian and English. And if you just classify me as 'white' I will 'bow up' and launch into a tirade about how offended I am.

Maybe even provide a blank table to fill in where I could list the percentages.... a Pie Chart! (sarcasm alert)

front page? ...really?

May 23, 2012 at 10:55 a.m.
  • Great article. We look at our family background over 5 generations and found kin from 8 ethnic groups and 4 continents. A few outlaws but no billionairs.

May 23, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.

May 23, 2012 at 9:54 a.m.
  • "To lump everyone together in terms of Hispanic and Latino doesn't really account for the diversity of the people," Oboler said. "It's like lumping together the British, Canadians and even the South Africans and Australians."

Umm, isn't that what already happens when you say "white people"?

I have always been curious about the difference between Latino and Hispanic and Chicano.

May 23, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.
  • stereotypes are for statistitions....you're either male or female (to me) !!
    i use other adjectives to describe the gender members that irritate me, but 'vicad' would delete this message should i list them....lol

May 23, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.
  • and the really cool part about labeling hispanics white is that you can send them to segregated black schools and call it integration.

truth is that most illegal aliens are native-americans. hispanics are those of spanish progeny. Interesting, there are no hispanics in spain.

May 23, 2012 at 8:56 a.m.
  • I agree just how far back do you go to decide your 'label'. If you were born in the US you are American. Labels only encourages discrimination.

May 23, 2012 at 8:24 a.m.
  • how far back does one need to dig, in order to find their roots?
    I am an American because i was born with in her borders. But i also have a distant relative, Lucy from Africa so does that make me an African American?

May 23, 2012 at 7:57 a.m.
  • To ghettovictoria, your just plain racist, I've seen other races who live out in the country with more cars than you can shake a stick at and with more kids having kids so don't go preaching till you look in the mirror.

May 23, 2012 at 7:50 a.m.

May 23, 2012 at 7:36 a.m.
  • Im 32 , my household identifies as American. We may be of mexican decent but it doesnt change the fact we are Americans First. America is where we live, earn our living and will build our future. My family and I love the fact we are Americans and we Embrace the fact we are fortunate enough to be born in the greatest country on earth. So when people ask me "what I am" i usually smirk and say American, arent you? Lol.

May 23, 2012 at 7:34 a.m.
  • My husband is from Mexico. He says he's Mexican. As for me, my grandfathers are Mexican. My paternal Grandmother espanola. My maternal grandmother Texan. My parents Texan. When my husband told his family I was Chicana I had to clear that up. I said Chicanos are Americans with Mexican roots born up North like the northern states. As for me, I'm a proud Tejana. Born in Texas with family roots I'm proud of. And I will stand behind that. TEXAN. TEJANA.

May 23, 2012 at 6:48 a.m.
  • Wow!

May 23, 2012 at 5:51 a.m.
  • TONI ANNE seems to "git purtier" everytime her pic shows up.

May 23, 2012 at 5:34 a.m.
  • Being of Spanish French and Native American decent my family being in Texas since the 1700's I consider myself a 8th generation Texan

May 23, 2012 at 12:41 a.m.

May 23, 2012 at 12:31 a.m.