Pets and disaster safety checklist
• Plan to take your pets with you in an evacuation.
• Know which hotels and motels will accept you and your pets in an emergency.
• Most Red Cross shelters cannot accept pets because of health and safety concerns. Service animals are allowed.
• Know which friends, relatives, boarding facilities, animal shelters or veterinarians can house your pets.
• Although your animals may be more comfortable together, be prepared to house them separately.
• Make sure your pet's vaccinations are current.
• Assemble a portable kit with emergency supplies for your pets.
• The behavior of pets may change dramatically after a disaster, so be aware of their well-being and protect them from hazards.
• Watch your animals closely and keep them under your direct control.
• Be aware of hazards at your pet's level, particularly debris, spilled chemicals, fertilizers and other substances.