Hurricane Safety Checklist for home safety
• Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio for critical information from the National Weather Service.
• Check your disaster supplies and replace or restock as needed.
• Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind. (bicycles, lawn furniture etc.)
• Close windows, doors and hurricane shutters. If you do not have hurricane shutters, close and board up all windows and doors with plywood.
• Turn the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and keep them closed as much as possible.
• Turn off propane tanks and unplug small appliances.
• Fill your car's gas tank.
• Learn about your community's hurricane response plan.
• Because standard homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding, it's important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions. Visit floodsmart.gov.