Home » Teen crashes stolen car; 4 hurt (video) » Unverified Comments

Comments

• I know all too well that the owner of the cars insurance will be liable for any & all damages as my daughters friend took her car w/o permission & hit a parked car.....we found out about the accident from our insurance company. Our premiums went up. We were also told that we couldn't press charges on the girl who did it because my daughter left her car at the girls house so it was "implied consent" that the girl could take it even though she was specifically told she had better not. Since the driver took his mothers car, I'm not sure she could press charges, if what the police told me was true. If they lied to me, they cost me quite a bit of money.

Biggrobb, my condolences to you & your family. I wish your loved one, & the other injured kids, the best. I remember being in high school & riding with my older friends who had cars.....we did the same stupid things. Who drove slowly over "the end of the world"? I know we didn't. I also remember "liquid lunches" in high school. Teenagers haven't yet realized their mortality.....unfortunately some have to learn the hard way.

May 30, 2012 at 12:06 a.m.
  • yes the owner can be held responsible in the event of a wreck

May 29, 2012 at 11:26 p.m.
  • I ask because I have been told never to allow someone to borrow your car because you can be held liable if the borrower is responsible for a wreck. Even if borrower has their own insurance.
    Praying for the poor boy with the broken back.

May 29, 2012 at 11:15 p.m.
  • the driver is most likely on his parent's insurance and yes they are in for a world of hurt from the potential lawsuits

May 29, 2012 at 10:44 p.m.
  • KASH...The driver is 18 -- an adult and (should be) fully responsible for his actions and their consequenses. Because of this, I don't see the owner with any liability, but you never know what a lawyer will do. Anybody can be sued. She has a car that needs to be replaced. I don't know what her insurance will do in this case. I HOPE the driver has LOTS of insurance. He's gonna need it. Of course, at 18, he probably is judgement proof since I doubt he has much in the way of assets. He should be looking at jail (prison?) time. This is really sad since a 15 year old will never walk again.

May 29, 2012 at 8:46 p.m.
  • Thank You for the kind words....I do know his spine is severed and they are bringing in a Neurologist to re-examine......yes..it is a horrible outcome to a stupid event.....I look back at my teen years now and think how lucky I must have been...(im 41 now)....a lot of my friends owned sports cars....I had 1 also...Im sure there are a few times when any one of us could have ended up like this.............Please everyone...it is summertime...newly licensed kids are on the road....even if you have to use this story as an example....remind your kids and loved ones to be safe and responsible on the road.

May 29, 2012 at 5:54 p.m.
  • Could she hold any liability since she owned the car? Maybe car was not so much as stolen as borrowed.

May 29, 2012 at 4:35 p.m.
  • The first thing I would have done was press charges. The mother just said it is "ok" to steal someones car, wreck it, and cause serious injury to others. The parents of the kid with the broken back would be wise to press charges so he can't hurt anyone else. He could have killed all his passengers.

May 29, 2012 at 8:25 a.m.
  • BigRobb- The doctors are often wrong about this type of accident. People are Walking when the doc's said they would not walk. I read about it all the time in the newspapers. keep your hopes up! It could happen....

May 28, 2012 at 6:56 a.m.
  • what a horrible outcome to a stupid event

May 27, 2012 at 10:32 p.m.
  • biggrogbb, Our hearts go out to him. Be stong and he will find a new world.

May 27, 2012 at 9:28 p.m.
  • It saddens me to hear that, biggrobb

May 27, 2012 at 9:03 p.m.
  • I am related to the one who broke his back....I got a call about 10 minutes ago...he will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

May 27, 2012 at 5:47 p.m.

May 27, 2012 at 1:02 p.m.
  • Sarge...You're right about the owner not pressing charges being a big mistake, but fortunately the intoxication assault charge will stick. I'm sure their future is bright -- especially the one with the broken back. I think you're probably right about their future residence. This is four more the taxpayers will have to feed and house.

May 27, 2012 at 10:32 a.m.
  • what is the cost of replacing a telephone pole these days ?

May 26, 2012 at 8:36 p.m.
  • I'm beginning to think there's someone who has put out a bounty on telephone poles in Victoria.

May 26, 2012 at 8:24 p.m.
  • intoxication assault and filing a false report at 18.

i hope that doesn't mess up his ivy league scholarship ?

May 26, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.
  • I would have kicked my kds a$$ if they would have taken my car!!!! But my kids knew better!!! :0)

May 26, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.
  • The injuries sound scary. I hope everyone is ok. D=

May 26, 2012 at 6:19 p.m.
  • Don't know about West, but East HS let school out at 12:30 on Friday, because of finals schedule. but thanks for your comment, Captain Obvious...

May 26, 2012 at 5:27 p.m.
  • Christopher Columbus used hemp

ropes on his ships. =P

May 26, 2012 at 5:15 p.m.
  • Why weren't the 15 year olds in school on Friday afternoon?

Odds are they will all be in jail or prison before their 19th birthday. Mom must be so proud. Worst thing she did was not press charges.

May 26, 2012 at 5:04 p.m.
  • they were probably smoking hemp or bath salts.

May 26, 2012 at 4:37 p.m.