This weekend's prep football playoff previews
Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:15 a.m.
Class 4A, Division I Bi-District
Victoria East Titans at San Antonio Harlandale Indians
• 7:30 p.m., Harlandale Memorial Stadium, San Antonio
• Notes: East (3-7) makes its third consecutive playoff appearance and will go on the road to play Harlandale (8-2) for the first time. East is the second seed from District 30. Harlandale is the top seed from District 29. East is coming off a 77-27 loss to Calallen, the most points it has yielded in a game in the program's history. Harlandale is coming off a 42-36 win over San Antonio McCollum. East's Jonathan Ortega has passed for 987 yards and 13 touchdowns and rushed for 505 yards and eight touchdowns, and Deondric Lofton has 35 receptions for 819 yards and 10 touchdowns. Harlandale's Brandon Ramon has passed for 2,108 yards and 21 touchdowns, Nicholas Martinez has rushed for 1,087 yards and 16 touchdowns, and Nathan Ibarra and Jonathan Rodriguez have combined for 107 catches for 1,364 yards and 14 touchdowns. The winner will play the Flour Bluff-Missions Veterans Memorial winner in the area round.
• Radio: KNAL, 1410 AM
Class 4A, Division II Bi-District
Calhoun Sandcrabs vs. Floresville Tigers
• 7:30 p.m., Calallen Wildcat Stadium, Corpus Christi
• Notes: Calhoun (9-0) and Floresville (8-2) were district opponents the last two years and Calhoun won both meetings. Calhoun and Floresville also played in the bi-district playoffs in 2007 and 2008 and Calhoun won both games. Calhoun is making its seventh straight playoff appearance and is the top seed in District 30. Floresville is the second seed in District 29. Calhoun is ranked No. 8 in the Class 4A state poll. Calhoun is playing for the first time since a 61-42 win over Victoria East on Nov. 2. Floresville has won two straight since losing to Medina Valley. Calhoun's Hunter Boerm has rushed for 1,483 yards and 21 touchdowns. Floresville's Hector Villegas has rushed for 1,144 yards and 13 touchdowns. The winner plays the Edcouch-Elsa-Corpus Christi Miller winner in the area round.
• Radio: KITE, 93.3 FM
Class 3A, Division I Bi-District
El Campo Ricebirds vs. La Grange Leopards
• 7:30 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Victoria
• Notes: El Campo (10-0) and La Grange (8-2) won their respective district titles, but meet in the first round by virtue of having the largest average daily attendance of the playoff teams from their districts. El Campo won the District 25 championship. La Grange captured the District 26 title. El Campo is ranked No. 8 in the Class 3A state poll and is making its seventh consecutive playoff appearance. El Campo last played in Memorial Stadium in 2009, winning 31-17 over Victoria Memorial. La Grange defeated Yoakum 49-22 in the 2000 Class 3A, Division II regional playoffs at Memorial Stadium before going on to win the state championship. El Campo and La Grange each led their districts in defense. El Campo has yielded an average of 197 yards per game, and La Grange has given up an average of 224.3 yards per game. El Campo's Jack Davis has rushed for 1,005 yards and 12 touchdowns, Montray Johnson has rushed for 977 yards and 12 touchdowns, and Bryce Brandl has rushed for 771 yards and 13 touchdowns. La Grange's Logan Vinklarek has passed for 1,391 yards and seven touchdowns, and Rodney Filmore has rushed for 1,238 yards and nine touchdowns. The winner plays the Somerset-Boerne winner in the regional round.
• Radio: KULP, 1390 AM & KBUK, 104.9 FM
Class 3A, Division II Bi-District
Cuero Gobblers vs. Bellville Brahmas
• 7:30 p.m., Dragon Stadium, Round Rock
• Notes: Cuero (5-5) and Bellville (7-3) split a pair of non-district games in 2010 and 2011. Cuero won 28-8 at home in 2010 and Bellville won 21-13 at home in 2011. Cuero returns to the playoffs after a one-year absence as the second seed in District 26. Bellville is the top seed in District 25. Cuero lost its first two district games before winning its last three. Bellville has won four straight games since losing to district champion El Campo. Bellville is averaging 351.9 yards of offense per game, and Cuero is averaging 336.5. Cuero's Blake Reeve has passed for 1,535 yards and 12 touchdowns, D'Anthony Hopkins and Ray Horton have combined to rush for 1,325 yards and 12 touchdowns, and Justin Rossett and Ross Riemenschneider have combined for 79 catches for 1,059 yards and nine touchdowns. Bellville's LeKieath Nunn has rushed for 736 yards and nine touchdowns, and Bronson Allen has rushed for 674 yards and seven touchdowns. The winner plays the Wimberley-La Vernia winner in the area round.
• Radio: KBAR, 100.9 FM
Class 2A, Division I Bi-District
Edna Cowboys vs. Lago Vista Vikings
• 7:30 p.m., New Braunfels Canyon
• Notes: Edna (7-3) and Lago Vista (7-3) square off on Canyon's red turf field. Edna is the second seed in District 14. Lago Vista is the third seed in District 13. Edna is making its second consecutive playoff appearance. Teams had a common opponent in Refugio, ranked No. 1 in the Class 2A state poll. Refugio beat Edna 56-0 and defeated Lago Vista 28-12. Edna's other losses came to No. 7 Hallettsville and Class 3A Yoakum. Lago Vista's other losses came to McGregor and No. 2 Cameron Yoe. Edna is averaging 347.4 yards of offense per game. Edna's Dominic Gosson has rushed for 895 yards and 11 touchdowns, DeQuan Cantu has passed for 644 yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 432 yards and six touchdowns, and DeOntae Jones has five interceptions for 117 return yards and one touchdown. The winner plays George West in the area round.
• Radio: KIOX, 96.1 FM
• Hallettsville (10-0) plays Odem-Luling winner in area round.
Class 2A, Division II Bi-District
• Refugio (10-0) plays Rogers-Hitchcock winner in area round.
• East Bernard (10-0) plays Banquete-Dilley winner in area round.
• Karnes City (9-1) plays Blanco-Danbury winner in area round.
Class 1A, Division I Bi-District
Ganado Indians vs. Ben Bolt Badgers
• 7:30 p.m., Pirate Stadium, Mathis
• Notes: Ganado (7-3) makes its fifth consecutive playoff appearance when it takes on Ben Bolt (7-2). Ganado is the third seed in District 15. Ben Bolt is the second seed in District 16. Ganado won seven straight games before ending the season with district losses to Shiner and Three Rivers. Ben Bolt has won two straight games since losing to Bruni and La Villa. Ganado is limiting opponents to an average of 213.9 yards per game, and has averaged 286.7 rushing yards per game. Ganado's Clay Vesely has rushed for 1,122 yards and 11 touchdowns, and Billy Jones has rushed for 641 yards and six touchdowns. Ben Bolt's Albert Gonzalez has passed for 1,186 yards and seven touchdowns. The winner plays Weimar in the area round.
• Internet: www.kulpradio.com
• Shiner (9-1) plays Ozona-Holland winner in area round.
• Weimar (6-4) plays Ganado-Ben Bolt winner in area round.
Class 1A, Division II Bi-District
Runge Yellowjackets vs. Granger Lions
• 7:30 p.m., Canyon Lake, Fischer
• Notes: Runge (8-2) makes its first playoff appearance since 1997 against Granger (5-5). Runge is the second seed in District 14. Granger is the third seed in District 13. Runge is seeking its first playoff win since 1996 when it defeated Sabinal 10-9 in the bi-district round. Runge won its first seven games before losing a non-district game to Yorktown and ended the season with a loss to district champion Falls City. Granger lost to Burton and Bartlett in district play. Runge's Dylan Torres has rushed for 1,011 yards and eight touchdowns, Rob Molina has rushed for 731 yards and 14 touchdowns, and Jeric Esparza has five interceptions for 75 return yards and one touchdown. The winner plays D'Hanis in the area round.
TAPPS Division III Area
Fort Worth Calvary Christian Conquerors at Sacred Heart Indians
• 7:30 p.m., Hallettsville Brahma Memorial Stadium
• Notes: Hallettsville Sacred Heart (7-3) makes its 25th consecutive playoff appearance when it plays Fort Worth Calvary (6-4). Sacred Heart won the Division IV state championship last season. Sacred Heat defeated Calvary 39-8 in the 2007 Division IV state championship game. Sacred Heart got to host the game after winning the District 5 championship. Calvary Christian finished fourth in District 1. Sacred Heart has won seven straight games since opening the season with three losses and is coming off 28-21 win over Shiner St. Paul. Calvary ended the regular season with a 49-8 win over Kennedale Fellowship Academy. Sacred Heart's Jonathan Vanek has rushed for 1,321 yards and 17 touchdowns. The winner plays the Houston Cypress Christian-Marble Falls Faith Academy winner in the regional round.
St. Paul Cardinals vs. Temple Central Texas Christian Lions
• 7:30 p.m., Tiger Stadium, Rockdale
• Notes: Shiner St. Paul (6-3) makes its 27th consecutive playoff appearance when it plays Central Texas Christian (6-4). St. Paul advanced to the Division IV state final last season. St. Paul finished second in District 5. Central Texas Christian finished second in District 4. St. Paul is coming off a 28-21 loss to Hallettsville Sacred Heart that ended a five-game winning streak. Central Texas Christian ended the regular season with a 41-6 win over Waco Texas Christian. St. Paul's Adam Hollenbach has rushed for 1,279 yards and 23 touchdowns, and Martin Kennedy has rushed for 738 yards and nine touchdowns, has 166 receiving yards and two touchdowns, and has returned two punts for touchdowns. The winner plays the McKinney Christian-League City Bay Area Christian winner in the regional round.
• Radio: KTXM, 99.9 FM & KYKM, 92.5 FM. Internet: www.texasthunderradio.com
Class 3A, Division II Bi-District
Yoakum Bulldogs vs. Wharton Tigers
• 7 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Victoria
• Notes: Wharton (7-3) is making its second straight playoff appearance and Yoakum (6-4) is back in the postseason for the first time since 2009. Yoakum and Wharton met in the 2004 Division II bi-district playoffs and Yoakum captured a 40-21 win. Yoakum is the top seed in District 26. Wharton is the second seed in District 25. Teams had common opponents in Cuero and Columbus. Yoakum beat Columbus 27-25 in its season opener and defeated Cuero 28-21. Wharton lost to Cuero 20-19 in its season opener and beat Columbus 39-22. Wharton has not played since Nov. 2 when it beat Royal 56-0. Yoakum beat Giddings 35-14 last week to clinch a playoff berth. Yoakum's Chase Hermes has passed for 1,400 yards and 12 touchdowns, Tra'vontae Hights has rushed for 457 yards and seven touchdowns and passed for 329 yards and four touchdowns, and Keith Ratley and T.J. Hights have combined for 61 receptions for 1,384 yards and 13 touchdowns. Wharton's Bartee Grissom has passed for 1,306 yards and 15 touchdowns, despite missing the last two games with an ankle injury, Alfred Pinkney has rushed for 994 yards and 11 touchdowns, and Leeshad O'Neal and Dontay Bell have combined for 55 catches for 1,008 yards and 11 touchdowns. The winner will play the Navarro-Pleasanton winner in the area round.
• Radio: KTXM, 99.5 FM, KYKM, 92.5 FM & KKHA, 92.5 FM. Internet: www.texasthunderradio.com
Compiled by Mike Forman