Calhoun County Fair kicks off Saturday
by Dianna Wray - DWRAY@VICAD.COM
Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:11 a.m.
IF YOU GO
• WHAT: Calhoun County Fair Parade, 10 a.m. Sandcrab Stadium, 201 Sandcrab Blvd., Port Lavaca
• WHEN: 10 a.m. Saturday
• WHAT: Calhoun County Fair
• WHEN: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday
• WHERE: Calhoun County Fairgrounds, Port Lavaca
COST: Adults, $3, students, K through 12, $1, pre-school and younger, free
• WHAT: Calhoun County Fair Junior Livestock Show
• WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Thursday
• WHERE: Bauer Barn, Calhoun County Fairgrounds, Port Lavaca
• Visit calcofair.org for more information or call 571 9655.
The Calhoun County Fair kicks off on Saturday with the annual parade through Port Lavaca.
This year's fair will feature the annual livestock show and auction, but there will also be new events, including a tractor pull, Mary Ruth Tasler, office manager for the Calhoun County Fair, said.
The fair has been held in Calhoun County since 1937, except for the years during World War II. It is a longstanding and well-loved tradition in Calhoun County, Tasler said.
The junior livestock auction will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Bauer Barn at fairgrounds.
The carnival will be at the fairgrounds through Sunday, Oct. 21.
Daily gate passes are $3 for adults, $1 for students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade, and pre-school children or younger get in free. Season passes are $10 for adults and $4 for students.
Anyone interested in purchasing passes may do so at IBC Bank, Announcement Plus, agriculture building, the fair office and token booth.
Tasler has been involved with the fair for 46 years. She said there haven't been many changes over the years, but she looks forward to it every year.
"I look forward to it every year. There are some people I only see once a year at the fair and it's kind of a big event for Port Lavaca," she said.