Thursday, October 30, 2014




Advertise with us

Two men save neighbor's home from fire

By chirst
Oct. 31, 2012 at 5:31 a.m.


Two neighbors were lauded as heroes after they saw a neighbor's home catch fire Wednesday afternoon - and extinguished it.

"I just heard the dog barking and I saw Alex running over yelling, 'Fire! Fire!' So I just picked up a shovel and ran over there and hit the grass that was on fire," said Marcos Gonzales, a neighbor in the 100 block of Opravil Road. "Luckily, it wasn't too bad ... I think it could have been bad."

Alex Jimenez, owner of E.J. Paint and Body Shop next door, said he noticed that the skirt of the mobile home had caught fire while he was working.

"I was here at work and saw smoke coming out and I could see the flames. I just got the water hose and a bucket and ran over," Jimenez said.

Since the water hose from his shop did not reach all the way to the house, he was forced to stop about halfway and fill the bucket with water.

"I had to refill it about five times, I think I lost like 20 pounds," he said, laughing.

Victoria County fire marshal Ron Pray said the fire was out before crews arrived after they got the call at 1:24 p.m.

"They saved their neighbor's house. They would have lost their whole house, for sure," Pray said.

No one was injured and the house was not damaged, Pray said.

Jimenez said the residents were new to the area and were not home at the time.

Pray said the fire started in a hanging pot on the porch, possibly because of a cigarette.

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia