Van catches fire on Navarro Street (video)

Sent from my iPhone

Firefighters work to extinguish a blaze that started in the engine of a Chevrolet van just before 5 p.m. in the center lane of Navarro Street near Crestwood Drive on Saturday.

Victoria Fire Department battalion chief Roger Hempel said the fire was mechanical and spread through the fire wall and into the driver's compartment of the van.

Susan Gibbs, a passenger in the vehicle, was riding with her husband, William, when she said they saw smoke, stopped and exited the vehicle. The fire spread to the cab of the van after they had exited. The couple was uninjured.