Advocate earns 21 awards in state journalism contest
The Victoria Advocate gathered 21 awards, including five first places, during the annual Texas Associated Press Managing Editors conference Saturday in San Antonio.
The Advocate's multimedia editor, Robert Zavala, led the way with first places for best video of less than two minutes and for feature page design by an individual.
Reporter Dianna Wray took first in the feature series contest for her seven-part look at the Eagle Ford Shale, which prompted the contest judges to write that "this newspaper has soul" and that they want to subscribe to the Victoria Advocate.
Other first place awards went to Jennifer Preyss, Melissa Crowe and to the news team for deadline writing on the death of 15 immigrants in a crash near Berclair and to Aprill Brandon for column writing about her miscarriage.
Here are other Advocate winners:
• Feature writing, third place, Wray.
• Feature series, second, Gheni Platenburg, Frank Tilley, Zavala, J.R. Ortega, Jonathan Hinderliter, Angeli Wright and Erin Pradia.
• Breaking sports news, second, Will Brown and Crowe.
• Comment and criticism, honorable mention, Kathleen Duncan.
• Business reporting, honorable mention, Allison Miles.
• News page design by an individual, third place, John Hornberg.
• Feature page by an individual, honorable mention, Kimiko Fieg.
• Feature page by an individual, honorable mention, Luis Rendon.
• Team page design, second, Fieg, Zavala and Tilley.
• Informational graphic, second and third places, Zavala.
• Best blog, honorable mention, Chris Cobler.
• Star online package of the year, second place, Crowe, Sonny Long.
• Star breaking news, third place, Crowe, Long.
• Star investigative report of the year, honorable mention, Crowe, Zavala.
• Star investigative report of the year, third place, Caty Hirst, Jessica Priest.
The Advocate competed against newspapers across Texas ranging in circulation size from 30,000 to 125,000. The contest received more than 3,150 entries. The conference continues Sunday at the St. Anthony Hotel.