Saturday, November 29, 2014




Advertise with us

No one injured in warehouse fire

By Jessica Priest
April 15, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.
Updated April 14, 2013 at 11:15 p.m.

Firefighters carry out burned items at the scene of a fire at Lawrence Furniture Company in Victoria.

No one was injured in a fire at a cabinetry workshop in the 400 block of Warehouse Road about 7 p.m. Monday.

Victoria County Fire Marshal Ron Pray said the fire at Lawrence Furniture Co. Inc. was caused by unattended cigarettes.

He said the building sustained moderate damage, which was confined to one corner where firefighters used their axes to enter through a side panel and douse the flames.

The building, he said, was locked up by workers, who had gone home for the day.

Pray guessed the residents playing baseball in a nearby field probably observed the smoke pouring out of the building and called 911.

"I did hear some type of alarm, but I don't know if it was a burglar alarm," Pray said, adding that businesses are not required to install them.

He said the company has contacted its insurance agent.

The Victoria Fire Department as well as Raisin and Quail Creek volunteer fire departments extinguished the fire.

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia