Power line worker electrocuted
Aug. 12, 2013 at 3:12 a.m.
Updated Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:13 a.m.
A 24-year-old California man died Monday after he was electrocuted in the 5490 block of Farm-to-Market Road 237.
The man's name has not been released, pending notification of family, said Sgt. Travis Gundelach with the Victoria County Sheriff's Office.
The man was a contract employee working for Victoria Electric Cooperative. He was replacing power lines when he came into contact with live, high-voltage wires, Gundelach said.
Elena Alvarado, who lives in the area, was taking a nap when the men came out to work on the lines. She said they had turned the power off in the area to replace the pole.
"I don't know what happened. I don't know. The power turned on for just a brief second. ... It flickered on and off, and that is when I heard him screaming," Alvarado said.
The man was treated at the scene by coworkers shortly before noon until the Victoria Fire Department could arrive.
Alvarado said the man appeared to be unconscious when workers managed to get the bucket he was working from back down. She said the tragedy was overwhelming.
"I've gone to school to be a (certified nurse's aide), and I have been trained on what to do in case of an emergency. I know how to do CPR, but when everything was happening, it was so scary, and I didn't know what to do. The only thing I could do was call 911," she said.
The man was transported to DeTar Hospital Navarro, where he later died. He was pronounced dead at 12:51 p.m.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate the death.
Representatives from Victoria Electric Cooperative were not reached for comment Monday.