Victoria Commissioners delay burn ban
Aug. 12, 2013 at 3:12 a.m.
• Approved proposal from Robert V. Reim Company, Insurance & Risk Management Consulting for Victoria County General Liability Insurance Bid Process
• Received plats for Valle Vista, amended Phase 1, re-subdivision No. 1 in Precinct 3
• Nominated Danny Garcia to fill a vacancy on the Victoria County Appraisal District board of directors
Victoria County could soon see another ban on outdoor burning.
Although Victoria County Commissioners did not enact the ban Monday, County Judge Don Pozzi said he expects it will need to go into play within the next few days.
County Fire Marshal Ron Pray said the Keetch-Byram Drought Index, which helps determine fire potential and measures moisture, was at 581 Monday.
The index uses a scale of 0 to 800.
Commissioner Gary Burns asked for the ban to be delayed a few days to see if the area gets any rainfall.
Commissioner Kevin Janak agreed.
"There's nothing to burn," Janak said. "The cows are eating dirt. ... Farmers and ranchers are placing cattle on their hayfields."
Pozzi, who can call for the burn ban without a commissioners court vote, said he is willing to give it a day.
"Quite frankly, I think it should be imposed," Pozzi said.
As for the 20 percent chance of rain Monday night, Pozzi kept a pessimistic outlook, "We have a possible 80 percent chance of no rain."