Cuero family loses home in fire (video)
Danny - M/L shirt, 30-32 pant, 12 1/2 shoes
Tim - XL shirt, 36-34 pant
Stephanie - L shirt, 14 pant, 6 shoes
Contact Stephanie Gibson at 361-243-1527 to make donations.
CUERO - Stephanie Gibson, 36, lost a cherished blanket made by her deceased grandmother and her wedding ring in a fire that destroyed her home Thursday morning.
The fire started in the master bedroom of her mobile home near Cuero.
"My grandmother died when I was 14," Gibson said.
The belongings not scorched by fire were soaked by water.
Gibson's son, Danny Wilson, 15, was asleep in his bedroom when he smelled smoke. He heard the beeping of the fire alarm when he opened his door and alerted his mother, who was sitting on the front porch.
They were the only two home at the time.
The family, which includes her husband, Tim Gibson, 34, and two children, has lived in the trailer for more than one year. Her daughter, Kimberly Wilson, 14, recently moved to Arkansas. The family rents the property from her husband's parents.
"All Danny's new school clothes and supplies burned," Stephanie said.
Danny was most upset about his Xbox, which was destroyed.
The Crossroads Chapter of the American Red Cross provided the family with a debit card for food and clothing. The family is staying with relatives until they find another place to live.
Gibson's husband's suitcase full of memorabilia from his father might be salvageable, she said.
The Cuero Fire Department received the call at 8:45 a.m. Thursday and arrived at 9:05 a.m., said Cuero firefighter Josh Schuenemann. The mobile home, located just south of Thomaston on U.S. Highway 87, is about a 13-minute drive from Cuero.
Because no one was inside the trailer and ammunition was igniting, the firefighters broke a window in the bedroom through which they doused the fire before they entered.
"It took about an hour to put the fire out," Schuenemann said.
The firefighters were there in four trucks for two hours.