Vote on DeWitt budget, tax rate set for Sept. 9
Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:28 a.m.
DEWITT COUNTY TAX RATES
TAXING ENTITY/2012 RATE/2013 RATE/STATUS
• Cuero/30.168 cents/32 cents/Public hearing 5:45 p.m. Sept. 5
• Yoakum/9.087 cents/9.087 cents/Vote scheduled, 6 p.m. Sept. 10
• Yorktown//61.264 cents/68.561 cents/Public hearing 7 p.m. Thursday
• Cuero school district/$1.O7/$1.10403/Public hearing, noon, Thursday
• Meyersville school district/$1.04/$1.04/Approved Tuesday
• Yoakum school district/$1.24/$1.1540/Approved Monday
• Yorktown school district/99.72 cents/97.212 cents/Approved Wednesday
• DeWitt medical district/13.221 cents/13.221 cents/
Vote scheduled, noon Sept. 5
• Yoakum hospital district/18.33 cents/16.15 cents/Public hearing, 6:15 p.m. Sept. 5
NOTE: Tax rate is per $100 in valuation
SOURCE: DEWITT COUNTY TAXING ENTITIES
The DeWitt County Commissioners Court will vote on adoption of a new budget at 9 a.m. Sept. 9 in the commissioners courtroom of the DeWitt County courthouse.
The budget includes a proposed tax rate of 46.937 cents per $100 of appraised value.
The current tax rate is 50.203 cents per $100.
At the proposed rate, the owner of a $100,000 home in DeWitt County would see a $32.66 decrease from last year's tax bill.
The average home value in DeWitt County is $49,121, according to the DeWitt County Tax Assessor/Collector's Office.
Changes in a property's appraised value also effect the final tax bill.
The $25 million budget appropriates about $8 million in expenditures in the general fund and more than $17 million in the road and bridge fund.
DeWitt County Judge Daryl Fowler said the county has also reserved another $1 million for a 10 percent match of anticipated funds from the state in April for transportation projects.
"The award could be $5 million to $8 million. The $1 million is on the high side because an allocation will not be available before the end of the state fiscal year," Fowler said.
The commissioners court held a second public hearing on the budget and tax rate on Monday.