Thursday, September 18, 2014




Victoria couple loses house in blaze (w/video)

By Jessica Priest
Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:09 a.m.

A Victoria Fire Department official comforts Glenda Haynes, right, resident of the house in the 1100 block of Sertuche Road, moments after the fire was put out.  The home caught fire Monday while  the family was away from home.

HOW TO HELP:

The family needs food, clothing and toiletries. Here are their sizes:

Glenda Haynes

• Medium for shirts

• 6-7 in juniors for pants

• 9-10 for shoes

Jerry Garner

• Large to Extra-Large for shirts

• 36-40 for pants

• 11-12 for shoes

Artie Haynes

• Large for shirts

• 32 for pants

• 7-8 for shoes

To donate, call 361-220-9737 or 361-652-4511.

Glenda Haynes rattled off her and her family members' clothing sizes while clutching a phone and shivering Monday night.

Firefighters, meanwhile, were coiling up their hoses in the 1100 block of Sertuche Road.

"I'm a size 6 or 7 in juniors, but I don't care what they (the clothes) are because I don't have anything. All my stuff is gone," she said while tears rolled down her face. "I'm lucky I have the coat on my back."

Haynes, 46; her husband, Artie Haynes; and her son, Jerry Garner, 19, were not home when a fire broke out in their home at about 6:01 p.m. Monday.

Firefighters got the blaze under control in about 10 minutes. One room of the house has extensive fire damage, while the rest of the house has smoke and heat damage, Victoria Fire Department Batallion Chief Shannon Martin said.

Glenda Haynes was at work while her husband was interviewing for a sales associate's job at Wal-Mart's auto care center.

A neighbor called Artie Haynes, who had finished the interview and was running errands, to tell him about the fire.

The couple said no devices were on when they left the home about 2:45 p.m.

A TV was hooked up in the back bedroom, though. Its cord was wrapped around the couple's bed. Investigators believe there was an electrical short in the cord, Glenda Haynes said.

"It just hurt my heart to see it (the house) when I got here," she said.

For her husband, the house called up memories of his mother, who died in 2004. She left the home to her children.

His mother cared for his father after he was disabled in an on-the-job accident and was bedridden for two years. She also tended to Artie Haynes' sister, who died of cancer, in the home, he said.

"My mom was a wonderful lady. ... It (the home) reminds me of her and all the good people who would come over to be around the family," he said.

He had just put up the Christmas tree.

A big fan of the San Francisco 49ers, he also recently purchased a new TV so he could watch his favorite team. The TV was almost paid off.

Artie Haynes was not sure whether the family had homeowner's insurance, but they will be seeking help from the Red Cross.

There were no smoke detectors installed, and the wiring has never been updated, he said.

"I would want to try to save the house as best as I can with the income that we have," he said.

SHARE

Comments


THE LATEST

Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia