Mentor program participants honored at VBEC dinner
Dec. 14, 2013 at 6:14 a.m.
WHAT IS A MENTOR?
VBEC mentors spend at least 30 minutes a week with a student.
The following are among the mentor's functions:
• Teaching the student about a specific issue
• Coaching the student on a particular skill
• Facilitating the student's growth by sharing resources and networks
• Challenging the student to move beyond his or her comfort zone
• Creating a safe learning environment for taking risks
• Focusings on the student's total development
The SureBET Program is very flexible program.
Source: Victoria Business and Education Coalition
Want to become a mentor? Call the Victoria Business and Education Coalition at 361-572-8232 for more information on how to apply.
The Victoria Business and Education Coalition hosted a Mentor Appreciation Dinner on Sept. 5. VBEC currently has more than 225 mentors in its SureBET Mentor Program.
They are at five campuses in the area: Hopkins elementary School, Patti Welder and Stroman middle schools, Victoria East and West high schools.
The following mentors and mentees were honored at the dinner:
Nancy Kirchner - Patti Welder
Michael DiSanto - Stroman
Robert Loeb - Victoria West
Brian Holt - Victoria East
Carol Bludau - Hopkins
Monica Hysquerdo - Victoria West
Kendall Millberger - Patti Welder
Arron Zamora - Victoria East
Joshua Gibson - Hopkins