Nordheim FFA Stock Show brings in $87,300
BY SONNY LONG - SLONG@VICAD.COM
Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:09 a.m.
• Steer: Alyssa Leister, 11th grade
• Senior Goat: Taylor Bernier, eighth grade
• Junior Goat: Quensey Torrez , fifth grade
• Senior Lamb: Alyssa Leister, 11th grade
• Junior Lamb: Quensey Torrez, fifth grade
• Senior Hog: Chelsea Pargmann, 12th grade
• Junior Hog: Connor Metting, third grade
FOOD, CRAFT, ART WINNERS
• Grand Champion Food: Pecan Pie Cake, Elise Schuenemann, seventh grade, sold for $400
• Grand Champion Craft: Lap Quilt, Schuenemann, sold for $1,250
• Grand Champion Art: Lab drawing, Alyssa Leister, 11th grade, sold for $400
• Reserve Champion Food: White Chocolate Raspberry Bars, Tessa Green, 10th grade, sold for $400
• Reserve Champion Craft: Texas Shield, Gabriel Perez, eighth grade, sold for $325
• Reserve Champion Art: Cross, Stacy Garcia, 10th grade, sold for $300
The 2013 Nordheim FFA Stock Show auction brought in $87,300 with the sale of 39 animals.
The sale topped last year's total of $81,025.80 for student animal projects.
"The overall quality of the animals for this small show was great, the student exhibitors were prepared, and they displayed excellent showmanship skills in many of the animal classes," said show judge Joe Taylor.
Steers returned to the show after a one-year absence and 10th-grader Brittny Smart sold the grand champion for $5,635 to Citizen's Bank-Yorktown, T&D Cattle Company, Apple Lumber & Feed, Nordheim FFA Fundraisers, Tractor City Country Store, Weldon Switch Trail Riders, Nixon Livestock and Edgar & Gladys' Cafe.
The grand champion hog brought $5,000. Third grader Connor Metting exhibited the 238-pounder. Buyers included J&J Pipe and Supply, Metting Dozer Service, Glenn Treybig, Karnes County Livestock, Nixon Livestock, Chad and Kim Hahn, David and Peggy Johnson, Gregg and Darlene Metting and NAC Services.
Savannah Castillo showed the grand champion lamb. It sold for $3,000 to Beef It Up, First National Bank of Beeville-Yorktown, Nordheim FFA Fundraisers and Weldon Switch Trail Riders.
Cecilia Diego, a junior at Nordheim High School, sold the grand champion goat. It sold for $2,500 to Dynasty and Nordheim FFA Fundraisers.
Fellow junior Alyssa Leister exhibited the reserve champion steer.
The 1,181-pound steer sold for $5,432.60 to Charlene and Gary Butler, Nixon Livestock, Beef It Up, Nordheim FFA Fundraisers, T&D Cattle Company, Metting Dozer Service and Weldon Switch Trail Riders.
Wryston Fischer had the reserve champion hog. It sold for $5,600 to Seifert Ranches and Nixon Livestock.
Garrett Rohan showed the reserve champion lamb. The lamb sold for $3,000 to Amanda Tam, Beef It Up, Nordheim FFA Fundraisers and Switch Trail Riders.
Two goats were named reserve champions. Both sold for $2,500.
Stacy Garcia sold one to Edgar & Gladys' Cafe, Trevor Schuenemann Family, Nitro Construction Connie Smart, CPA, Fraga Fence and T&D Cattle Company.
Fourth-grader Chandler Kainer sold the other reserve champion goat to Talk Ranch, Amanda Tam and Beef It Up.
The 2013 show was dedicated to Nordheim school district maintenance supervisor Larry Baucum. Baucum has been with the district since 2002.
Courtney Bauer is the Nordheim agriculture science teacher and FFA faculty sponsor.