20-year-old files again for VISD board seat
BY CAROLINA ASTRAIN - CASTRAIN@VICAD.COM
Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:03 p.m.
Updated Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:27 p.m.
2013 ELECTION CALENDAR
• March 1: Last day to file application for place on the ballot. Last day for a candidate to declare write-in candidacy. Deadline for both is 5 p.m.
• March 4: Last day a candidate may withdraw name from the ballot.
• March 12: First day to apply for ballot by mail.
• April 11: Last day to register to vote.
• April 29-May 7: Early voting
• May 11: Election Day, polls open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• May 14-22: Officials canvass votes.
SOURCE: Secretary of State
A 20-year-old Victoria man has filed for election to the Victoria school board in District 1.
Jake Gonzalo Flores filed to run against Pastor Kevin VanHook on Tuesday afternoon.
VanHook took office in 2010 and is up for re-election along with Michael DiSanto and VISD board vice president Bernard Klimist.
This is not Flores' first time seeking office.
Flores first sought election to the board in 2011, when he was a senior at Liberty Academy.
The candidate said he received a wide range of support and criticism from community members in reaction of his bid for office.
"I had many people who would call me and come up to my work place and say they really supported everything that I was doing," Flores said. "But oftentimes, I also heard really negative feedback."
Flores, who said he holds VanHook in high esteem, said he is motivated to run because of the unique perspective he can bring to the classrooms.
"I walk the halls of the high school campuses every day," said Flores, who is a tutor, "I want to work on improving the learning environment and providing teachers with the tools they need to succeed."
The college sophomore art student said he's hoping his third time is a charm.
"I have a strong desire to bring more community involvement into the schools," Flores said. "I want to help the district search for the solution behind our drop-out rate, especially now that we're closer to achieving that more than ever before."
The deadline to file for a seat on the school board is 5 p.m. Friday.