Blood, tissue center prepares for new year's donations
Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:04 p.m.
Updated Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.
WHERE TO DONATE
• Zion Lutheran Church, 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m., Sunday, 12183 Farm-to-Market Road 236
• Victoria Towers, 2-5 p.m., Monday, 1908 N. Laurent St., Ste. 195
• CMC Alamo Steel, 8-10:30 a.m., Friday, 255 Skytop Road
• City of Victoria, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday, Jan. 21, 105 W. Juan Linn St., 302 N. Main St., and 700 Main Center
• University of Houston-Victoria Housing, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2705 Houston Highway.
• First Victoria National Bank, 12:30-5 p.m. Jan. 24, 101 S. Main St.
• St. Joseph High School, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Jan. 25, 110 Red River St.
• Berry Plastics, 5:30 a.m.-8 a.m. Jan. 28, 202 John Stockbauer Drive
• University of Houston-Victoria, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Jan. 30, 3007 N. Ben Jordan St.
• Victoria College, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 31, 2200 E. Red River St.
• Bloomington High School, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Jan. 28, 2875 Farm-to-Market Road 616
In honor of National Blood Donor Month, the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center is celebrating the donations lifesavers make.
Carmen Davila, vice president of corporate communications at the center, said South Texas' blood donors help area cancer and trauma patients, as well as people affected by Hurricane Sandy.
"They are living examples of what it means to be a hero," Davila said.
The center is kicking off the New Year by giving people who donate during January and February a Spurs T-shirt and a chance to win a pair of Spurs tickets.
Donors must show identification before beginning the donation process. Anyone 16 years old and weighing 120 pounds with a parental consent form or anyone 17 years or older who weighs at least 110 pounds and is in good general health may donate blood.
The center has served the South Texas community's blood and tissue needs for more than 35 years. It serves more than 100 hospitals in 43 South Texas counties.
For more information, call 800-292-5534 or visit southtexasblood.org.