Corrections and clarifications
The Advocate wants to correct promptly any error in fact or clarify any misleading information we publish. To report any error or need for clarification, please call 361-574-1222.
The following timeline was not complete, and the board of directors and asset information did not appear in print Tuesday with the First Victoria - Prosperity Bank acquisition story on Page A1 on Tuesday.
First Victoria National Bank timeline
• 1866: John M. Brownson settles in Victoria after serving in the Civil War.
• 1867: Opened Brownson's Bank in a room of the A. Goldman Building, then a grocery.
• 1873: Brownson's Bank moves to 108 N. Main St.
• 1876: Bank name changes to Brownson and Co.
• 1882: Bank expands; Brownson forms partnership with Eugene Sibley, an Alabama native. Institution is renamed Brownson and Sibley.
• Dec. 12, 1889: Brownson and Sibley joins with First National Bank of Victoria. Institution renamed First National Bank.
• April 1913: Bank re-organizes, becoming Victoria National Bank.
• April 1914: Bank moves to the five-story Welder Building, at the corner of Main and Constitution streets.
• 1928: Bank acquires the Welder Building.
• March 1, 1963: Bank changes its name to First Victoria National Bank.
• 1998: FVNB Corp. forms.
• January 1998: FVNB Corp. acquires Citizens Bank of Texas.
• September 2005: Bank begins calling itself "First Victoria." FVNB Corp. also acquires Planters and Merchants State Bank in Brazos County.
• July 2008: First Victoria's first V-Source Center opens on North Navarro Street.
• July 1, 2013: Company announces acquisition by Prosperity Bancshares, Inc.
Sources: Advocate archives, Prosperity Bancshares Inc. news release
FVNB CORP. AND FIRST VICTORIA NATIONAL BANK'S DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS:
FVNB CORP. DIRECTORS:• Michael S. Anderson, board chairman
• Roger F. Welder, vice chairman of the board
• John Burton
• O.D. Edwards
• David P. Engel
• Robert L. Halepeska
• Yerger Hill III
• Thomas Lane Keller
• Molly O. Kemp
• M. Russell Marshall
• James Robert McCan
Thomas Marion O'Connor
FVNB CORP. EXECUTIVE OFFICERS:• M. Russell Marshall, president and CEO
Gregory Sprawka, executive vice president, CFO and secretary to the board of directors
FIRST VICTORIA NATIONAL BANK EXECUTIVE OFFICERS:• M. Russell Marshall, president and CEO
• Gregory Sprawka, executive vice president and CFO
• John E. "Buddy" Billups, senior executive vice president - private banking and wealth management
• William J. Macha, senior executive vice president and chief trust officer
• Kenneth L. Vickers, senior executive vice president and chief lending officer
• Craig G. Friemel, senior executive vice president and chief credit officer
Kenneth W. Olan, senior executive vice president and chief marketing officer
Source: FVNB Corp. annual report
*Note: FVNB Corp. directors are also directors of First Victoria National Bank.
Companies at a glance:
Prosperity Bancshares Inc.
Total assets: $16.1 billion
Gross loans HFI: $6.1 billion
Total deposits: $12.9 billion
Total assets: $2.4 billion
Gross loans HFI: $1.6 billion
Total deposits: $2.1 billion
Source: Prosperity Bancshares Inc. online investor presentation
*Numbers as of March 31