Best spots for fireworks
July 3, 2013 at 2:03 a.m.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
• 6-7:30 p.m. - Scott Taylor Band
• 8-9:30 p.m. - Two Tons of Steel
• 9:30 - City fireworks show
Immediately following the fireworks - Rhythm of the Road
SAXET LAKE PARK OPEN FOR FIREWORKS
• Saxet Lake Park will be open for fireworks from 4 to 11 p.m. Thursday.
• The county fire departments will be on standby, which enables members of the public to come out to the park with their families to pop fireworks safely, said county Fire Marshal Ron Pray. The park will close to fireworks promptly at 11 p.m.
IF YOU GO
• WHAT: Victoria's July Fourth celebration
• WHEN: 6 p.m. Thursday
• WHERE: Victoria Community Center, at 2905 E. North St.
• COST: Free
The 2013 Miller Lite Blastoff July Fourth celebration will take place at the Community Center, with entertainment starting at 6 p.m. and the fireworks starting about 9:30 p.m.
If you do not want to park at the community center, here are a few places to park and still get a good view of the fireworks.
"They turn the outside lights off, and there is grass through there so we would put a blanket down and the kids could play. Drinks, ice cream - it was all right there. ... I may have just given up the best kept secret in Victoria."
Tisha Franz, Victoria
"There is quite a bit of space - you have the whole park. ... We play volleyball and barbecue and watch the show."
Melissa Rendon, Victoria
""It just seems like it is more open, and I think it is just safer to go to the community center. ... We just get together as a family."
Diana Reyna, Victoria