Thursday, October 23, 2014




Advertise with us

Lolita family loses home in fire (Video)

By Bianca Montes
June 12, 2013 at 1:12 a.m.

The view through  a burnt-out window shows extensive damage to the inside of a mobile home after the structure caught fire on the 100 block of Elm Street in Lolita. No one was injured in Wednesday's fire, but four adults and five children were displaced.

To Donate

Contact the American Red Cross at 361-573-2671 to donate money or items.

LOLITA - Returning home from the post office Wednesday afternoon, Martha Lozano was met with the sound of a woman screaming.

Her first thought was to run.

The screams belonged to a neighbor, a young woman with two children crying. Their home was on fire.

About 3:30 p.m., a fire broke out inside a mobile home in the 100 block of Elm Street in Lolita. Four adults and five children had been living in the trailer and were displaced by the fire. No injuries were reported.

"She was screaming for us to call 911," Lozano said. "I just took off running (to help her)."

Lozano said she and her husband attempted to douse the flames with a water hose while waiting for the fire department to arrive.

Even children in the 10-home mobile park tried to put out the fire using water buckets.

Edna, Ganado and La Ward fire departments responded to the blaze.

The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes and is under investigation, said Edna firefighter Terry Jordan.

Linda May, emergency services director for the Victoria American Red Cross, said the family was placed in a hotel temporarily and were given assistance to replace necessities.

Attempts to reach the family late Wednesday were not successful.

The fire did not spread to any of the other homes in the mobile park, said Jordan.

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia