Family loses home; firefighter injured (video)
June 16, 2013 at 1:16 a.m.
Contact Robin Rodriguez at 361-655-3221 or her stepdad, Mike Mays, at 361-676-4308 to donate clothes, money, furniture or a place to stay.
Robin Rodriguez: 12 pants, large shirts, 81/2shoe
Daniel Rodriguez: 36 pants, extra-large shirts, 13 shoe
Jayden, 9: 10 pants, medium shirts, 3 shoe
Kaylynn, 4: 3T, 11 shoe
Daniel Jr., 2: 24 months, 7/8 shoe
Jayda-Starr, 10 months: 24 months, 3 shoe
Robin Rodriguez was just getting off work Sunday when she got the phone call - your house is on fire, her brother told her.
"Everything we own, everything - clothes, IDs, pictures - my son was crying that his brand new shoes were burned," Rodriguez said, staring at her charred home through the glare of flashing lights.
No one was home at the time of the fire at 8:19 p.m. Her husband, Daniel Rodriguez, and four children, ages 10 months to 9 years old, were on their way to pick Robin Rodriguez up from work.
A firefighter was injured, however, while battling a fire at the house at Loma Vista Avenue and North East Street, said Victoria Assistant Fire Chief Tracy Fox.
The firefighter suffered minor injuries when he fell through the floor of the burning home, Fox said. His name was not released.
Battalion Chief Clifton Bayer said the man was transported to Citizens Medical Center to be evaluated.
The home likely is a total loss, Bayer said, with much of the structure destroyed by fire, smoke and water damage.
The family stayed at a hotel provided by the American Red Cross Crossroads Chapter on Sunday night but will be looking for a place to live.
Crews arrived at 8:22 p.m. Bayer said it took 25 minutes to get the fire under control.
"Everything we put into the house - it is all gone," Robin Rodriguez said. "It is just gone. The only thing we have is the clothes on our back."