Cook-off to benefit Hospice of South Texas
March 15, 2013 at 5 p.m.
Updated March 14, 2013 at 10:15 p.m.
Only about a week before Easter, March 23 will be hopping with activities. Check these out:
• 8 a.m. - Victoria Kiwanis Club Riverside Ride, Riverside Park
• 8 a.m. - Barbecue cook-off benefiting Hospice of South Texas, Colet Inn Bar and Grill, Victoria
• 10 a.m. - H-E-B Plus!, Easter Egg Hunt, 6106 N. Navarro St.
Noon - RezFest, state Highway 111, Edna
• 2 & 8 p.m. - Spring Gala ballets, Welder Center, 214 N. Main St.
• 2 p.m. - H-E-B Easter egg hunt, 902 N. Laurent St. (Patti Welder practice field)
• 7:30 p.m. - Downtown Murder Mystery, 361-578-0060 for information
The air will be filled with the smell of sizzling chicken, ribs and brisket March 23 as the the Coleto Creek BBQ Association hosts its third annual Spring BBQ Cook-off.
An International Barbeque Cookers Association sanctioned event, $3,000 in prizes will be paid out, including $500 to the grand champion and $325 to the reserve champion.
Five places in all three meat categories will also receive cash prizes. The entry fee is $150 per team.
If barbecuing isn't your forte, competitions will also be held for homestyle chili and for best beans. The entry fee is $20 for each of these categories with a 50 percent payback.
Saturday also includes a silent auction from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a live auction at 3:30 p.m.
Activities start Friday with Jackpot Margarita and Chef's Choice competitions. The entry fee is $10 for each with an 80 percent payback.
The event is a fundraiser for Hospice of South Texas. In years past, the event's proceeds have helped defray medical expenses for a man in need and to assist a family who suffered a house fire.
The event will be on the grounds of the Colet Inn Bar and Grill, 3023e Camp Colet Road in Victoria. RV parking is available. Judges are welcome.
For more information, call 361-275-6869 or 361-564-7296.