RUNNING & FITNESS: Four conquer Ironman Texas race
The third annual Ironman Texas took place Saturday in The Woodlands, with about 2,800 triathletes showing up to attempt to cover the 140.6-mile journey called "Ironman."
The 2.4-mile swim took place in Lake Woodlands, followed by a 112-mile bike ride north through the rolling hills of the countryside.
Finally, they dismounted their bikes to run the 26.2-mile run leg that wound around the downtown area of The Woodlands. We had four local athletes there hoping to cross the finish line to hear the words from Mike O'Reilly, "You are an Iron Man!"
All four crossed the finish line despite high temperatures and windy conditions, one for the second time. Three became Ironman finishers for the first time.
Tiffany Saunders of Bay City crossed the line in a time of 15:15:31, covering the swim in 1 hour, 21 minutes (2:06/100 meters); the bike in 6 hours, 47 minutes (16.49 mph); and the run segment in 6 hours, 42 minutes (15 minutes/mile) and finishing 74th in the 35-39 age group and 1553rd overall.
Nicole Velebil, also of Bay City crossed the line in a time of 15:15:31, covering the swim in 1 hour 26 minutes (2:14/100m); the bike in 6 hours, 43 minutes (16.6 mph); and the run segment in 6 hours, 42 minutes (15 min./mile) and finishing in 75th in the 35-39 age group and 1,555th overall.
Renee Noonan was back for the second time at Ironman Texas. She finished in a time of 15:17:26, covering the swim in 1 hour 34 minutes (2:26/100m); the bike segment in 6 hours 52 minutes (16.2 mph); and the run segment in 6 hours, 28 minutes (14.5 min./mile).
Shannon Jones competing in only his second triathlon, crossed the finish line in 15:17:26, covering the swim in 1 hour 25 minutes (2:13/100m); the bike segment in 7 hours 7 minutes (15.7 mph); and the run in 5 hours, 58 minutes (13 minute/mile).
26 area teams run in Beach to Bay Marathon Relay
Since 1976, the Beach to Bay Marathon Relay has been taking place in Corpus Christi, drawing runners from around the country, as well as some teams from other countries.
There were 2,600 teams with about 16,000 runners competing. Each relay has six team members that run 4.4 miles each, for a total of 26.2 miles. Here are the local teams that competed:
• Victoria- Us, 3:18:48, 78th overall, 25th men's open division: Greg Westbrook, Martin Cantu, Chris Stewart, Matthew Musquiez, Derek Westbrook, Blake Westbrook
• Kickin Asphalt, 3:39:38, 171st overall, 27th odds & ends division: Ronnie Reyes, Ana Carroll, Justin Adcock, Amanda Martinez, Kellie Jones, Justin Jones
• Forever Young #1, 3:42:35, 182nd overall, 2nd Sr. Mixed Masters division: Dennis Henneke, Shayne Bollmann, Arthur Hernandez, Kathy Manning, Sandy Alkek, Lisa Hernandez
• Victoria Family Eye Center, 3:50:04, 242nd overall, 46th odds & ends division: Luis Barrios, Chris Gussman, Nacho Trevino, Amy Henry, Ashley Moulton, Madi Gregory
• Freaks in Sneaks, 3:54:03, 271st overall, 56th odds & ends division: Lyndsay Markert, Reagan Markert, Sade Ortiz, Allison Hicks, Brandon Hicks, Felix Duran
• Legacy, 3:56:23, 295th overall, 61st odds and ends division: Caleb Shaw, Tiffany Shaw, Seth Burns, Darryl Burns, Faith Burns, Hope Burns
• The Winning Team, 4:01:02, 348th overall, 80th odds & ends division: Lane Johnson, Larry Lillman, Robert Lyman, Ted Goris, Nacho Trevino, Stan Hamyln
• Corinthians 9:24, 4:01:40, 362nd overall, 25th women's open division: Tamara Brown, Veronica Aguirre, Rachel Allerkamp, Ashley Roessler, Julie Kallmann, Kelsey Kallmann
• Past Our Prime, 4:12:15, 497th overall, 76th mixed 3&3 division: Ryan Wagner, William Berger, Ryan Wessels, Christi Berger, Jenny Moore, Kristen Wessels
• Forever Young #2, 4:14:50, 542nd overall, 8th Mixed Masters division: Michael Teer, Nicki Hagel, Chris Garza, Eloy Galvan, Melissa Vargas, Cindy Herrera
• RMFAO, 4:30:43, 820th overall, 139th mixed 3&3 division: Tara Otwell, Nicki Martin, Tricia Hrapmann, Gabe Lopez, Ronnie Delaney, Dylan Martin
• Victoria Warm Springs, 4:34:29, 912th overall, 46th commercial division: Allie Atkinson, Bianca Horton, Denise Darst, Erin Loerig, Roger Lawrence, Mark Andrean
• Running this Life, 4:37:29, 991st overall, 178th mixed 3&3 division: Marie Lopez, Luciano Garcia, Kat Munoz, Megan Cattun, Cody Elisondo, Kevin Elisondo
• Tiger Connection, 4:37:56, 1000th overall, 181st mixed 3&3 division: John Llivas, Jess Morris, Jaime Heibel, Lindsey Youngblood, John Reyes, Amy Psenicki
• Chicks With Kicks, 4:43:26, 1127th overall, 106th women's open division: Lisa Arrieta, Wendy Mican, Sheri Howze, Lora Howze, Vickie Lessin, Amanda Lawrence
• Running Girls, 4:46:06, 1176th overall, 113th women's open division: Amy Yur, Annette Long, Shannon Hill, Sarah Ramirez, Karissa Miller, Melody Bohac
• Running Girls, 4:47:53, 1215th overall, 118th women's open division: Wendy Parker, Sheila Bauer, Julie Adams, Heather Bruno, Wendy Holder, Mary Cahill
• Boozers Corpsman, 4:58:47, 1458th overall, 97th military/law/fire division: John Cordes, Andrew Kinder, Philip Fitch, Michael Bucek, Alma Vasquez, Alex Lara
• 6 People Running, 4:59:08, 1456th overall, 156th odds & ends division: Jana Curry, Emily Curry, Tracy Foulds, Ada Faltesek, Rosie Saenz, Michael Lewis
• Ninja Turtles, 5:09:40, 1692nd overall, 686th odds & ends division: Jack Young, Tomas Young, Michael Morales, Michael Morales Jr., Ashley Barnett, Mikaela Vanek
• Wellness Warriors, 5:10:05, 1699th overall, 202nd women's open division: Jill Heard, Denise Moncrief, Diane Shirley, Holly Holik, Holly Wagner, Kristi Bludau
• Sandcrabs, 5:15:34, 1823rd overall, 337th mixed 3&3 division: Michael Moehler, Luis DeLaGarza, Skip Sockel, Elizabeth Chavana, Melissa Chance, Susan DeLaGarza
• One Mile at A Time, 5:30:28, 2070th overall, 293rd women's open division: Sara Lott, Teresa Trenck, Melinda Aragon, Danielle Garcia, Rhonda Hildebrandt, Kacey Bowman
• Chicks With Kicks, 5:43:42, 2229th overall, 324th women's open division: Elizabeth Chavana, Deborah Townley, Piper Summy, Alma Delgado, Lilly Amejorado, Desarae Garza
• Rivera, 5:50:32, 2289th overall, 975th odds & ends division: Martha Rivera, Jesse Ramirez, Chelsea Torres, Steve Kidder, Trine Ramirez, Nalina Burgos
Missy Janzow owns Fit4U, a personalized training and nutrition service. You can reach her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or online at fit4uvictoria.com.