Summer loving: 38 reasons to love summer in the Crossroads
get out staff report
May 22, 2013 at 12:22 a.m.
Updated May 23, 2013 at 12:23 a.m.
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer to most people. School is out. The weather is warming up. The water and amusement parks are open. The possibilities are endless.
The longer days mean more daylight and time to seek adventure and create memories. We're sure there are more, but here are 38 reasons why we love summer.
- Because raspas just taste better in the heat.
- Because when it's hot, the Greek Bros. 205 patio has fans and cold beer.
- Because short shorts are for everyone.
- Because baseball is America's true pastime.
- Check out the Victoria Generals on their home opener June 4.
- Because the PumpHouse Riverside Restaurant and Bar servers know you need bottomless mimosas Sunday mornings.
- Because the only Spanish you need to know is "migas."
- Because Bobby Pulido comes to visit. And he's not the only one. Siggno, David Olivarez and an entire troupe of musicians are descending on Riverside Park for the Memorial Weekend Bash.
- Because you can dance in the streets downtown. Special to the summer months, downtown Victoria hosts musicians every second Thursday of the month for dancing and a good time. The Scott Taylor Band and Jarrod Birmingham are just a few of the acts lined up this summer.
- Because you can mosh if you want to at Downtown Bar and Grill.
- Because you can find true love at a pub crawl. It's true. Last summer, Ginny Ellsworth and Bob McCord met during the first-ever Main Street Pub Crawl. They tied the knot this March. With a diverse offering of bars downtown, you don't have to wait for an official event. Pub crawl all summer long with your besties - and keep an eye out. You just might meet your future spouse.
- Because Riverside Park is perfect for weekend barbecues.
- Because Sheriff T. Michael O'Connor has a majestic mustache and the new mayor, Paul Polasek, isn't far behind.
- Because every one is a star at Shooters' karaoke.
- Because driving with the windows down and music turned up is the only way to do it.
- Because "it's hot" is the only excuse you'll need to head to the beach.
- Because longer days means more time to defeat your enemies in battle game.
- Because we missed our friends from summer camp.
- Because, let's be honest, the new splash pad was made for the summer. Though it opened in March, the 2,500-square-foot water wonderland is primed and ready for its first Victoria summer. Find the fun at Lone Tree Creek Park on East Airline Road. Admission is free and city of Victoria employee Jennifer Sourdellia says it's open to kids of all ages. We're all kids at heart, right?
- Because Port Lavaca understands our love for flip flops. We love BootFest, but when it comes to shoe-inspired festivals, it's hard to beat one that's dedicated to chanclas. The Port Lavaca Flip Flop Festival is Aug. 31.
- Because the fishing at Port O'Connor is unparalleled. From the Kids Fishing Tournament at Kingfisher Beach on Saturday to Poco Bueno July 17-20, there's a tournament for everyone in this fisherman's paradise.
- Because Schroeder Dance Hall is still bringing in the best country music artists around.
- Because a Shiner Ruby Redbird is perfect on hot nights.
- Because Crossroads wineries know how to party.We love wineries no matter what, but throw in some live music and we're there, no matter what. The Braman Winery in Richmond and Texas SouthWind Vineyard & Winery between Goliad and Refugio are offering up just that this summer. Every first Saturday, SouthWind has live music starting at 6:30 p.m., while Brahman offers music on a variety of days. Check their websites for full calendars of music to sip a summer white to.
- Because we've got our very own haunted mansion in Berclair.You can even win your very own private paranormal investigation of the place at the Berclair Boots and barbecue auction this June at Berclair Mansion.
- Because some of the best music is free from the Victoria Bach Festival starting June 1.
- Because Victoria keeps bringing the lolz. Bill Engvall and D.L. Hughley are both on tap to keep the Crossroads laughing this June. Engvall will bring his part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour to the Fine Arts Center, and D.L. Hughley will be taking the stage at the Golden Gecko.
- Because of the Victoria and Port O'Connor Fourth of July fireworks shows.If you feel like fishing and fireworks, hit Indianola for a smaller show.
- Because coffee in the morning is even better served over ice.
- Because it's another reason to buy new sunglasses.
- Because every trip to Marble Slab means another stamp on your frequent buyers card.
- Because chili cheese dogs and chili cheese tater tots taste great when eaten in the car at Sonic with the AC blasting.
- Because August kicks off the new season of Theatre Victoria's 2013-14 season with "Beauty and the Beast."Performances begin Aug. 2 at the Leo J. Welder Center for the Performing Arts. It's a musical and a Disney favorite - what's not to love?
- Because it's perfect weather for sundresses. Both the ladies and guys love those lightweight garments.
- Because any book read poolside is made better.
- Because it's finally time to stop putting off hitting the Riverside Park Paddling Trail.
- Because it's the perfect temperature at night to sleep with the bedroom windows open.
- Because it's the ideal time to show off your beach volleyball skills.
- Because everyone looks better with a glowing tan.