Life happens: Top 10 perks of being pregnant
By By Aprill Brandon
Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:10 a.m.
People will always insist you sit down. Your mom, your significant other, your co-workers, even the 98-year-old man with Scoliosis on the subway will get up and insist you sit down. Already sitting down? No worries. They will then insist that you lie down.
Being pregnant, it is practically your job to be lazy. That is, unless you listen to "some" people who will insist you stay physically active. But "those" people are doctors and are stupid and also don't think fried pickles are a good idea for breakfast.
Everyone will also always insist you are beautiful. Family, friends, strangers, your creepy neighbor who you now suspect has some kind of weird pregnant lady fetish. Everyone will feel they need to go out of their way to tell you how beautiful you are, you beautiful, sacred vessel, you.
Because, apparently, while all you see in the mirror is a sweating fatty fat mcfatterson in sweatpants who isn't wearing makeup and has Medusa hair, everyone else sees a glowing goddess. Just go with it.
- Thanks to your nausea, you always get to pick the restaurant because the list of places that don't make you want to puke is shorter than the list of places that do.
- Laying on the couch all day in your pajamas while eating chicken wings dipped in guacamole and refusing to shower is no longer considered "sad" and "pathetic" but "good for you" because you're busy "growing a human."
- Your boobs. Your boobs become - they're just - they're just so amazing, you guys. If you're like me, for the first time in your life, you will have Playboy Playmate-level of mammary glands. And as such, you will stand in front of the mirror naked all the time in awe.
I mean, you could kill a man with these boobs, if you really wanted to. They're that crazy big. So make sure to enjoy them as much as possible before your mean, selfish children exit the womb and ruin them.
- You can blame the baby for everything. In fact, you will say "the baby made me do it" no less than 417 times during your pregnancy.
- Being pregnant gives you the god-like power to name something. You, a mere puny human, get to determine what someone will be called for the rest of their life. Obviously, judging by the growing numbers of people named She'D'yn'asty and Periwinkle and Darth, too many parents let this power go to their heads. But as they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and hopefully little Dragon Spike Huddle will understand that someday when he's older.
- Want ice cream and a taco at 11 p.m.? Whoever knocked you up is pretty much legally required to go get them for you immediately. And not those tacos from that crappy joint down the street. No, the good tacos from that place across town where the Blockbuster used to be.
- You finally have a legitimate excuse to buy those tiny, tiny adorable shoes that are always in the window of every fancy baby boutique. And also any and all tiny adorable baby hats that make infants look like animals.
- You pretty much get to live like a hobbit. You can eat breakfast, second breakfast and elevensies all before noon (or in some cases before 8 a.m.). You have a new determination to make your life as cozy as possible (Snuggie, Netflix, $60 worth of snacks? boom. You got a rockin' weekend).
The TV remote is now your precious and anyone wanting to take it away from you is likely to get their finger bitten off, Gollum-style. And your feet swell up to comically large proportions (hairy toes also possibly included depending on your genetics).
Aprill Brandon is a columnist for the Advocate. Her column runs every two weeks in the Your Life section. Comment on this story at VictoriaAdvocate.com.