Victoria College selected as regional testing site for national nurse aide exam
Victoria College has been selected as a regional testing site for the national nurse aide examination.
Pearson VUE of Cynwyd, Penn., will use a training lab in VC's Health Sciences Center to administer the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program examination.
"It's great to be a regional testing site," said Marilyn Powell, Victoria College's allied health coordinator and instructor. "With a change that was made by the Department of Aging and Disability Services, Texas will be brought in line with other states that have been doing this for a long time. It allows nurse aides more opportunity to move from one state to another and utilize their credentials."
There are two parts to the national examination: the written or oral examination and the skills evaluation. Both will be administered on the same day. Those taking the tests must pass both parts to be certified and listed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry.
Those eligible to apply to take the examination must qualify for one of the following:• New or retrained nurse aide who has successfully completed a state-approved nurse aide training program within the past 24 months
• Nurse aides with expired registration, for those who have not performed nursing or nursing related duties in a health care setting and completed 24 hours of in-service education during the 24 months since registration or re-registration
• Nurse aide with equivalent military training, someone who has completed military training of 100 hours or more on or after July 1, 1989
• Registered nurse or licensed vocational nurse graduate, someone who has completed a state-accredited school of nursing in any state within the past 24 months
• RN/LVN student, someone who has completed basic nursing training within the past 24 months
• Out-of-state training, someone who has completed an approved training program in another state within the past 24 months
• Training program closed, someone who has completed a training program that has closed within the past 24 months
Those wishing to take the test can receive an application from their nursing facility employer, nurse aide training program or by downloading a copy at PearsonVUE.com. The fee is $95.
Testing dates are Nov. 9, Nov. 23 and Dec. 14 and are scheduled twice a month through November 2014. The dates for 2015 will be announced at a later date.
The test site will be open for registration at 7 a.m. on the testing date. The written exam will begin at 8 a.m., and skills testing will start at 10 a.m. The test site facility will close at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact VC's Workforce and Continuing Education Department at 361-582-2412.