Saturday, March 28, 2015

Advertise with us

Woman gives birth in car (video and 911 call)

By Elena Watts
Sept. 10, 2013 at 4:10 a.m.

Ryan Banda, 28, left, speaks about the birth of his daughter, Alyrith Gypsy Stockton-Banda, 3 days old, being held by his wife Jacquelyn Stockton, 28, while his daughter Staleigh Stockton-Banda, 9, right, helps them recount the story at their home in Yorktown. He was driving his wife to the hospital when her water broke and the baby came so fast they were still driving on Farm-to-Market Road 237 when she was born. Stockton was on the phone with dispatch to tell them they were speeding to the hospital when the baby came.

Jacquelyn Stockton, 28, dreamed of her daughter before her birth.

In her dream, she woke to find her baby resting on her stomach, under her shirt, still connected by the umbilical cord.

Two weeks later, she gave birth to Alyrith Gypsy Stockton-Banda in the passenger seat of a Dodge Journey as it zipped along back roads at 85 miles per hour.

On Saturday, Stockton woke about 6:45 a.m. from a deep sleep to contractions that were five minutes apart.

Her husband, Ryan Banda, also 28, found her in the bathroom, where she calmly told him to get the car.

She grabbed the bag with a couple of nightgowns and hurried off with her husband.

Their home in Yorktown is about 45 minutes from the hospital in Victoria.

Banda sped along Farm-to-Market Road 237 while Stockton called 911. She told the dispatcher she was in labor and asked that the police not stop them when they sped through town.

Her contractions were closer, and she was worried.

This was her third delivery, and she had every reason to believe that her labor would be brief.

She delivered her 8-year-old daughter, Staleigh Stockton-Banda, about 45 minutes after her water broke.

In 2010, she woke with contractions the morning her doctor had planned to induce labor. Her son, Wylee Stockton-Banda, arrived 15 minutes after the doctor broke her water.

With Alyrith, Stockton's water broke as the dispatcher told her to keep driving and to be safe.

"She punched and broke my water," Stockton said. "Gypsy is her middle name, and she is already a little road warrior."

Stockton's legs were propped on the dashboard, and she could feel the baby descending. She felt like she needed to push.

"Ryan said don't push," Stockton said. "She was coming - it didn't matter if I pushed."

Alyrith was ready to arrive.

With one hand on the steering wheel, Banda reached over with the other to hold the baby's head as it emerged.

"There was no time to think," Stockton said. "My instincts took over."

With the phone in the crook of her neck, Stockton reached down with both hands and pulled her baby onto her stomach. The umbilical cord still attached them.

"She was incredibly calm, cool and collected on the phone for what was happening," Banda said.

The baby arrived breathing, crying, pink and unusually clean.

"Thank God the interior of the car was black," Stockton said.

Banda wrapped his daughter in one of Stockton's nightgowns while they waited for help.

Emergency medical services arrived and secured the mother and child in the ambulance.

Three first responders rode in the back with Stockton.

"They were more nervous than I was," Stockton said. "I had been through this twice before."

Emergency births are not frequent, said Lt. Jeff Cowan with the Victoria Fire Department.

"It was pretty nerve-wracking," he said. "Any time kids are involved, it's more emotional."

In the ambulance, the lead medic attended to the mother while Cowan cleaned the baby and checked her vital signs.

"We knew they were doing well," Cowan said. "We couldn't ask for a better post-delivery."

The firefighters stayed at the hospital and visited the the couple and their new daughter in their room.

The dispatchers brought a gift and card to the family later that evening.

"We hang around when special things happen," Cowan said.



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia