Thursday, March 26, 2015

Advertise with us

Formosa Plastics neighbors not concerned about safety despite two recent fires

By Bianca Montes
Sept. 13, 2013 at 4:13 a.m.
Updated Sept. 14, 2013 at 4:14 a.m.

Formosa Plastic Corp.'s facility in Point Comfort had an incident with  five injuries  Friday morning. Formosa's Emergency Response Team responded first, and four were transported by helicopter and one by ambulance.

POINT COMFORT - Residents living near Formosa Plastics said they don't have major concerns about safety despite two recent fires at the plant.

Five employees were injured around 10:20 a.m. Friday when a fire erupted in a tower being serviced, said Bill Harvey, Formosa communications manager.

Related stories

Hospital:Victims' families gather in support

Lawsuit:Claim against Formosa from May 2 flash fire ongoing

The tower was shut down for scheduled maintenance prior to the fire, Harvey said.

Initially, employees were assisted at an on-site medical facility, but "because of the nature of the injuries," Harvey said the workers were taken to outside hospitals.

Four of the employees were transported by helicopter to the burn unit at Memorial Hermann Health System in Houston, and the fifth was taken by ambulance to Citizens Medical Center in Victoria, said Calhoun County Sheriff George Aleman.

One employee was released from the hospital Friday afternoon, Harvey said, but he would not say from which hospital.

Employees were conducting scheduled maintenance on the tower in the high-density polyethylene-II unit, which produces a polypropylene-based plastic pellet, prior to the fire, but Harvey was not able to confirm if all workers were in the tower when the blaze began.

Formosa declined to release the names of the injured to protect its employees' privacy.

Terry Vinyard, 46, who lives across Farm-to-Market Road 1593, which separates her from the plant, said she knew about the fire but wasn't worried about her or her family's safety.

In the past, Vinyard said, the plant has sent emergency phone and text messages when there is an incident that may affect those living near the plant.

Those who register for the free service receive automated phone calls or text messages when there is a danger to the community, Harvey said.

As a safety precaution, the plant also has an alarm system that delivers varying tones to warn neighbors about possible dangers. The alarm is tested every Monday morning, Harvey said.

"If there is something we feel might pose a threat to the community, there is a whole series of sirens we'll activate," he said. "It's really important to us that we're good neighbors."

Vinyard said between the automated warning calls and the fire department located at the plant, she doesn't see a need to worry, "They have everything under control over there," she said. "Nothing major has happened there for a few years."

In 2005, a vapor cloud ignited at the plant when a trailer being towed by a fork lift accidently pulled out a propylene piping system valve.

The five-day blaze injured 16 people and caused the town to shut down for about six hours with a shelter-in-place order.

Eric Galvan, 39, who has lived in the area for a year and a half, said he's never worried about safety for himself as a resident.

Galvan did, however, worry about the safety of the workers at the plant when he saw the helicopter hovering over it Friday.

Galvan works at Alcoa, near Formosa, where five employees suffered chemical-related injuries earlier in the week. He thought maybe a similar incident happened at Formosa.

In the past five years, Formosa has received at least 22 written notices of violations from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, including seven that were self-reported by the company.

TCEQ media relations manager Terry Clawson said radiated entities are required to file with the commission within 24 hours of an incident and that the last record filed was in July.

An emissions event was filed at 5:45 p.m. July 17 that stated a routine sampling of chill water tanks in the unit indicated a vinyl chloride monomer leak to the water.

Vinyl chloride monomer is a highly toxic, flammable and carcinogenic compound.

The report stated it took several days to purge the compound from the water, but the leak was eventually stopped.

Information about Friday's incident has not been reported to the commission, and it is too early to tell the cause of the fire, Clawson said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating Friday's incident, said Juan Rodriguez, an OSHA spokesman.

An investigation also continues into a May 2 fire at Formosa that sent 14 people to hospitals.

Although the investigation itself is in depth, the process is simple, Rodriguez said.

OSHA will respond to the incident and interview witnesses and other employees, he explained. The organization also looks for equipment failure and looks into the companies involved for past compliance issues.

Companies are required to report to OSHA any incident with three or more injuries resulting in hospitalization or any incident involving a fatality, Rodriguez said. Still, anyone can report concerns to the safety organization.

People who witness unsafe behavior can call OSHA at 1-800-321-6742 or visit

The organization does a quick analysis following any report, he said, before deciding whether to pursue an investigation.

Advocate reporter Allison Miles contributed to this report.

Read more about Formosa here and here.



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia