Thyroid support group forms, sets first meeting
Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:12 a.m.
ThyRex: Thyroid Support Group
• WHEN: 6 p.m. Tuesday
• WHERE: Second-floor conference room in the Heritage Mark Building, 5606 N. Navarro St.
• FOR MORE INFORMATION: Call Phoenix Johnson at 361-485-6639.
• Helping family and friends understand thyroid conditions
• Finding thyroid practitioners nearby
• Swapping literature about thyroid disease and health
• Sharing the latest news and research
• Understanding the symptoms
• Losing weight
• Impact of sleeping patterns and stress on thyroid disease
Phoenix Johnson, a financial counselor who has fought thyroid disease for more than 20 years, is starting a support group.
The first meeting is planned for 6 p.m. Tuesday in the second-floor conference room of the Heritage Mark building on Navarro Street.
"It's tough to find information and support systems," Johnson said. "I've done massive amounts of research, and I want to share all I've learned with others."
Without changing anything in her life, Johnson said she gained enough weight in seven days to increase her dress four sizes because of her hypothyroidism.
"The disease usually comes with weight issues, which affects self-esteem," Johnson said.
A common misconception is that those with thyroid disease are lazy and gluttonous, she said.
"I could go to the gym seven days a week and not get the weight off," Johnson said.
Through years of trial and error, she has found ways to manage her condition.
Education and aggressive treatment are the best ways to deal with the disease, she said.
Johnson looks forward to sharing her experience with others, learning how others have combated the disease, exchanging information such as literature and new research and hearing from guest speakers.