House burns in Victoria County, leaving family homeless
A fire in rural Victoria County razed a home, leaving a family homeless.
Victoria Fire Department responded to the blaze about 12:20 p.m., with the first unit arriving on the scene at 12:31 p.m., said Fire Chief Tanner Drake. The home was in the 600 block of River Road, just off Farm-to-Market Road 1685.
Drake said firefighters were not able to immediately put out the fire because of the lack of a hydrant system in the county.
Once all units and a tanker holding 2,000 gallons of water arrived, Drake said, it took about 10 minutes to contain the burn.
The fire is still active in the walls, Drake said, and firefighters are working to control the burn.
Weather officials issued a red-flag warning for Wednesday because of windy, dry conditions.
As more information becomes available, we will update the article. Look for full coverage in Thursday's Advocate.