Citizens Medical Center receives awards for coronary, bariatric care
July 15, 2014 at 2:15 a.m.
AWARDS FOR CITIZENS
• Healthgrades coronary intervention excellence award in 2014
• Ranked among the top 10 percent nationwide for coronary in intervention procedures in 2014
• Five-star recipient for coronary intervention procedures for three consecutive years (2012-14)
• Five-star recipient for treatment of heart attack for four consecutive years (2011-14)
• Five-star recipient for hip fracture treatment for six consecutive years (2009-14)
• Five-star recipient for treatment of respiratory failure in 2014
• Recipient of Healthgrades bariatric surgery excellence award for nine consecutive years.
• Recognized by Healthgrades for superior performance in bariatric surgery for two consecutive years
• Among top 5 percent of hospitals evaluated for bariatric surgery two consecutive years.
• Healthgrades outstanding patient experience award six consecutive years
• Ranked among the top 10 percent in the nation for outstanding patient experience for six consecutive years
Citizens Medical Center earned 2014 Healthgrades Excellence Awards for coronary intervention and bariatric surgery.
Citizens Medical Center was the only hospital in Texas to receive the award for bariatric surgery for nine consecutive years. Half of the 22 Texas hospitals evaluated for the three-year period, 2010-12, received the award.
"I cover the entire Midwest, and none achieved that in my area," said Allison Robb, director of client development and quality services for Healthgrades, during a Tuesday morning news conference.
Citizens was one of eight Texas hospitals to earn the Coronary Intervention Excellence Award, Robb said. The hospital has received a five-star rating, the company's highest, for treatment of heart attacks for the last four years, she said.
"This is a team effort, and everyone plays an important role," said Cherie Brzozowski, chief quality officer for the hospital. "I would absolutely recommend my dad, friends and family have open-heart surgery here, and it feels so good to say that."
The awards place the hospital in the top 10 percent nationwide.
"It's not one department; it's the whole hospital equally that is competent and capable," said Steve Thames, Citizens Medical Center chief operating officer. "We take care of friends and family, not patients. We have a vested interest."
Healthgrades is an independent health care rating company that offers comprehensive information online about physicians and hospitals. The company's ratings are based on mortality and complication rates.