Tamela and David Mann to perform at Fine Arts Center
Jennifer Lee Preyss
July 25, 2014 at 2:25 a.m.
Updated July 26, 2014 at 2:26 a.m.
Tamela Mann is a powerhouse gospel singer, Grammy-nominated artist and sitcom actress in Tyler Perry's "Madea" films and shows, such as "Meet the Browns," playing the prayerful and headstrong Cora Simmons.
At the Black Entertainment Television Awards last month in Los Angeles, Mann won Best Gospel Artist for "Take Me To the King."
Mann and husband and fellow "Meet the Browns" actor, David Mann, are traveling to Victoria on Aug. 1 for a live, clean comedy show and concert at the Victoria Fine Arts Center.
The couple has been married 26 years and star in their own reality show, "Hanging with the Manns."
Here are five things you may not know about Tamela and David Mann:
- Tamela and David Mann have made a career out of working with one another. Mann has reprised her character, Cora Simmons, in film and television, including "I Can Do Bad All By Myself," "Diary of Mad Black Woman," "Madea's Family Reunion," "Madea's Class Reunion" and "Meet the Browns." David Mann also reprises his comedic role as Mr. Brown for many of the same Tyler Perry plays.
- The Manns are both Texas natives, originally from Fort Worth. Both are in their late 40s and have eight grandchildren.
- David and Tamela Mann are spokespeople for the American Diabetes Association, and David has been open about his own diagnosis with the disease. On their show, "Hanging with the Manns," they cook healthy meals and educate viewers on making healthy food choices.
- David is also an accomplished musical talent in his own right and president of his music and entertainment label Tillymann Music Group with Tamela.
- Tamela Mann's Grammy-nominated, Stellar Award and Dove Award-winning debut single, "Take Me to the King," remained at No. 1 on the Gospel radio music chart for 19 weeks - a record number.
Source: From a news release and tillymanmusic.com